Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Long loss Battle with this truck

Old 11-26-2013, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long loss Battle with this truck

This is kinda a long story but if you have time to read this and help me i would greatly appreciate it. A few months ago i made a post about this same truck that wouldn't start and i wound up bring it to a mechanic. The timing had jumped. So they re timed it and drove it only to discover that the oil pump was bad. so I had them change that also. After said and done it cost me $4000 in repairs. I picked the truck up and on my way home the truck broke down and wouldn't start. the engine had locked up. I towed it back to them only to discover that the motor was bad. Turns out it runs fine until you drive it for twenty min. So i towed the truck home and pulled the oil pan off only to discover that the connecting rod bearings were shot. So i replaced them and the main bearings. I also polished the crankshaft. Once said and done i put the truck back together and it ran great until the engine heats up. Once at operating temperature it shuts off when the trucks comes to a stop light or has a low idle and starts to make this pinging noise when its about to die but if i give it just a little the pinging noise goes away and runs great until your idle gets low again. Its a 2005 f150 5.4 3 valve. if anyone has any suggestions or knows whats wrong please let me know thanks
Old 11-26-2013, 07:01 PM
Uberhater,Troll,Whatever

Received 110 Likes on 49 Posts

Miles on engine?

Late to the party, but this engine really sounds like it needed a full rebuild at the start of your problems. You've got that much or more $$ into it now. Have you checked the water pump/is it over heating?
Old 11-26-2013, 07:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really sounds like the shop you had it at , should give you your money back . If they wernt any better than that i would say the ripped you big time . And you hurt yourself by doing the bearings , waste of time and money much beter off with another motor or a full rebuild
Old 11-26-2013, 08:25 PM

The truck runs great until it heats up and i come to a stop light where it idles and then dies but i noticed today after driving it that it doesn't do it all the time. its bipolar. it will have a dry streak and then out of no where it will do it again for awhile. i know it needs a engine but i dont have the time to pull it apart now. and the bearing were a little over a $100. so i dont consider that a waste. but i need help because it annoying to drive like this.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:28 PM

no over heating everything works great other then it does when warm at idle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Long loss Battle with this truck