Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Locker, Limited Slip, or Scrap/Junk Yard Limited Slip?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 03:05 PM

Received 228 Likes on 175 Posts

Question Locker, Limited Slip, or Scrap/Junk Yard Limited Slip?

07 Screw w/ 6.5' Box w/ 3.73 Gears 2WD - and the dreaded Axle Code 26 - F250 Non-LS, and the Factory TCS.

I do some light off-roading, nothing serious. My one wheel burner wasn't a big issue until this winter, with larger boat, and using a launch I have not used since I bought my truck. I got stuck in the parking lot twice, and on the ramp once. Smokin one tire. I buried it in the sand at the beach once(Uggh), and stuck it at the base of a tree stand(Thank god we had a 4-wheeler). All stuff I did with my Old trucks w/ LS and no issues or getting stuck(Must be the one wheel drive then)

So with out buying a new truck, I am looking to eliminate some of my issues, since I really do not need a 4x4 yet.

Would an Eaton/Detroit Locker be a needed?

Would I be better getting a Detroit TrueTrac LS?

Or the last option, hit up my local Junk/Scrap yards for a rear end off a front totaled F-150 with Factory LS, and maybe get lucky and find one with 3.73 or 4.10 Gears in it and swap the axle?

Are there any other options or brands to look at? What do you guys think?
Old 04-10-2014, 03:53 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

If you're going to do the work yourself then find yourself a factory LS for as cheap as possible and install it. However, given the nature of the work involved your best bet is just to get a Detroit Truetrac and relieve yourself of the likelihood that that factory LS will eventually fail.

B&C Offroad just finished installing 4.56 gears front and rear and a Detroit Truetrac for the rear of my truck. I simply didn't want to ever fuss with the factory LS going out on me so out it went and in went the truetrac.

Search your local junkyards for a 3.73 LS for bottom dollar. You might get lucky. If you can't find one for that great a price then get the lowest priced truetrac you can find and install that.
The following users liked this post:
RajunKajun59 (06-19-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 06:51 PM

That's what I was leaning toward first but if I can't get the stock setup for less than 250ish I am going to install the true Trac. I figure just to be safe on having to replace clutch packs in it. True Trac is starting to sound better.

I ruled the locker out simply because I read the factory TCS coupled with a good LS, is almost as good as a locker on slick terrains where both tires are making contract, in most cases. I don't plan having one leave the ground. If at all possible.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:21 PM

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Maybe you should look at this. http://www.powertrax.com/
You can do this yourself with a socket set and jack stands. No special tools needed or paying someone to set your gears
Old 04-11-2014, 01:50 PM

Has anyone here have experience with the PowerTrax no Slip? Seems like the Ratchet would make me go crazy.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:32 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

I don't know the brand but my dad had a mechanical locker in an old police blazer he bought... I hated driving it on the road. the clicking was terrible and you would get wheel skip/skid sometimes driving normal around turns. could be that tech with them has come a long way or that he had a crappy brand, but i'm likely never gonna try one on a truck i drive on the street
Old 06-19-2014, 11:53 AM

Just a little update, I Weighed the options, and decided to order the Prowtrax No-Slip, it is back ordered to 7-17-14, YAY. I looked at the limited Slips, but didn't feel like paying out the rear for one or needing someone to install it, all the Junkyard Factory Trak-Loks needed a rebuild, so they were just as much as the Eaton, all said and done(Some things I trust myself to do, Others I leave to people who know). This lunchbox locker I can put it in myself in my driveway, which is nice, no need to re mesh gears, which I am not set up for.

I did look at a new 4x4 xlt, which is why it took me so long to decide, but in the end the great price on a new truck was out weighed by, I will have no note in a few months time on my truck, and the fact they under cut me 5 grand on my trade.

when I receive it I will let you guys know How I like it and hopefully from what I have read and seen in videos it's not to loud and can handle what I will put it through no problems. Thanks for the opinions guys, I appreciate it.
Old 08-02-2023, 04:44 PM

Received 242 Likes on 118 Posts

Very nice, i seriously regret going with a AT tire when i suspect Defender M/S would be more than enough for my use. Cant wait to get rid of these for a set of Michelins LTX's.
Old 08-10-2023, 01:23 PM
Blown Mafia

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts

I did the truetrac and love it. Having owned fords in the past with their trac-lok, I’d skip trac-lok all day in a truck. In a car? Sure, with the f150 spring.

Hope the locker works out, wouldn’t be my first choice.

Quick Reply: Locker, Limited Slip, or Scrap/Junk Yard Limited Slip?