Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Livernois Cam Lockout Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 10:10 PM

Received 231 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Livernois Cam Lockout Help

Alright I have a 2005 5.4 3v with only 65,000 miles on it and I have several of the common issues coming up already. I have the dreaded engine knock and a loud rattling coming from the drivers side engine when I first start it up. If I installed the cam lockouts would this solve my problem? I have searched through the threads and haven't found much. Has anyone installed these before?
Old 11-28-2012, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed these a couple weeks ago on my truck but the noise you mention sounds like a timing chain tensioner failed (which was also bad on mine). I locked out the phasers (RT side was completely sprung) and changed my timing chains and components. Motor sounds normal now.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by J.Manning
I installed these a couple weeks ago on my truck but the noise you mention sounds like a timing chain tensioner failed (which was also bad on mine). I locked out the phasers (RT side was completely sprung) and changed my timing chains and components. Motor sounds normal now.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did the repairs set you back? Did you do the job yourself or at a dealership? Loosing the 10-20hp on the top end is worth it knowing the cams aren't going to fail.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:19 PM

I think the lockout kit from Livernois was around 450 and the timing chain kit around 150, gaskets and such were a little over 100, so right around $700. Just make sure if you get a timing chain kit that you get the kit that has the plastic tensioners and not the cast aluminum ones. I found out the hard way that these will not work and had to tear it back apart to put the correct ones in when one of the cast ones failed after 2 days. My buddy owns a garage so we tackled it over a weekend, took about 8 hrs all together. (only 4 hrs the second time ) Biggest pain in the *** was the passenger side valve cover and the power steering pump.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:53 PM

Cool I'm going to go that route to fix my truck. My buddy is pretty good with cars so I was gonna have him help me out. Once again thanks for all of the info. This seems like the best way to go.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by disturbed3003
Cool I'm going to go that route to fix my truck. My buddy is pretty good with cars so I was gonna have him help me out. Once again thanks for all of the info. This seems like the best way to go.
Yeah, that way you never have to worry about the phasers going bad again. Rick Leblanc from Livernois was very helpful with getting them ordered and any questions I had. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Livernois Cam Lockout Help