Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Live and Learn

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 11:54 PM

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Live and Learn

Well it's become clear that I did not buy the "solid" truck I thought I did when I bought my 2005 F150 FX4 SCrew w/84,000 miles for $13,500. In fact, despite receiving a 250 point inspection and getting the "all clear", the only thing that's clear is that there is no way in hell there's only 85K miles on it. There's so many things broken on this truck that it's probably only worth about half what I paid for it in it's present condition.

Tensioning system shot so bad there's massive chain slap? Check
Cam phasers completely screwed? Check
Clutches in diffs gone from one of the previous owners leaving it in 4wd? Check
Toasted front cats? Check
Transmission going? Check
Plugs and COPs failing and throwing a CEL constantly? Check
Pretty much every single bushing anywhere on the truck completely shot? Check
Loud pops and groans from every corner of the suspension when just going over railroad tracks even? Check

Hell even the AC vent switch servo is bad and barely works, if it decides to work at all. When it's cold out, if I go over the smallest bump there's a really loud thunk from the passenger side suspension that sounds like something is just going to fall off.

It's like everywhere I look on this truck there's something broken. The only saving grace is that this truck has a "warranty", and I use the term loosely. I just had the truck checked out at a shop, and got back an estimate of $7,000 to fix everything, and that's WITH help from the warranty since they won't cover most of the work. And that's IF he doesn't get into the engine and find it just needs to be replaced.

I guess since this is my first truck, at least I'll know what to look for next time. As far as this round goes, I think it's time to admit I got the short end of the stick.

Now instead of actually putting money into the suspension as I planned, I have to get all this stuff fixed!
Old 03-14-2014, 12:37 AM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

How long did you own the truck before it started experiencing problems? How many miles does it have now?
Old 03-14-2014, 12:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

don't feel bad, my truck is at 120 K and I have already fixed or replaced everything you mentioned. $7000 dollars is a lot to be asking to fix that though...

Last edited by Inkdot22; 03-14-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:41 AM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

Also curious, how long until you found the issues? Sounds like it was right off the hop? Who did the inspection, the dealer who sold it? Were any CEL's set when you bought the truck? That's always a huge red flag to me... Depending on what CEL's too, I realize they could have cleared the computer and it may have stayed off long enough during a test drive.

My wife's car (Ford Fusion), they did their 250 point inspection too and bragged about it, etc. Overall, I drove it, did the few quick checks that I could without jacking it up of course.... The car had winter tires in the summer so I knew those were coming off. When I got home, I went to take one of the tires off and one of the lugs was stripped. I admitted, it's hard to prove whether I did it or they did it. They gave me a 3 month warranty and I said either I can take it off or they can. Anyways, they did. So I looked and both rear calipers, the slider pins were seized due to no lubrication. There were a bunch of little things but it definitely proved to me that my dealers 250 point inspection (or whatever theirs was called) was just another sales line. Overall though, my experience was pretty good.. The car wasn't bad. I didn't for a second trust them that they've changed any fluids though as they've claimed .

Anyways, I'm sorry to hear about yours overall.

Last edited by homer; 03-14-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Cutless009
Toasted front cats? Check
Transmission going? Check
Plugs and COPs failing and throwing a CEL constantly? Check
Around 95K, I had a fried coil on my '05 which lead to the actual harness taking damage. It caused misfiring and actually killed my passenger side catalytic. Due to the misfiring, the transmission was getting mixed signals and not shifting correctly (which made me think it was going bad). In the end, I had to have the dealer change out the engine harness for the coils (which meant a full coil and plug change), and had to have them change out both cats.... cost me around $1700 altogether, but I got a full warranty on everything and my transmission shift problems went away instantly...

As far as your tensioner's, you can buy a kit with Ford OEM parts which includes upgraded phasers, chains, guides, sprockets & tensioners for under $550... I was lucky and found an actual Ford Tech that did it on the side for $250....

Both of my problems are really common on these forums... with a little more searching, you can research and find out what repairs these trucks are prone to and take some cautionary steps to prevent them (there's tons, trust me)...

In the end though... I wouldn't trade my truck for anything...
(except maybe a '15 Raptor when they come out)
Old 03-14-2014, 03:50 PM

That's my biggest problem, I love my truck, I just want it to be right.

I'll take it to another shop and get another quote that might be more reasonable.

All the problems with it started within 300 miles of the time I bought it, and it's been downhill since then.

It's so disheartening to love my truck so much and have so much be wrong with it.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:43 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

I'll take it to another shop and get another quote that might be more reasonable.

All the problems with it started within 300 miles of the time I bought it, and it's been downhill since then.

It's so disheartening to love my truck so much and have so much be wrong with it.
A shame about all the issues with your truck. Make a priority list of the issues and take 'em on one at a time in the priority order. At $13,500 you are not too deep in.
Some of the issues you should be able to repair yourself to save some dollars.
I have a 2004 Super Cab that I am very happy with.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:49 PM

I got a huge discount on my replacement cats from the dealer because my truck was still under 100K... I asked what kind of warranty I had on the exhaust system and they told me that the emissions system was still covered, but not the labor... saved me a ton just by asking.... I doubt they'll volunteer that info when you bring it in though...
Old 03-24-2014, 04:05 PM

Well, dropped it off at the second mechanic today to see what he has to say. Seemed like a pretty honest guy, of course you can never really tell.

His exact words when I got done with the laundry list of things wrong with the truck were, "And you want to repair this truck?".

Ouch.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:59 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Well, dropped it off at the second mechanic today to see what he has to say. Seemed like a pretty honest guy, of course you can never really tell. His exact words when I got done with the laundry list of things wrong with the truck were, "And you want to repair this truck?". Ouch.
It doesn't sound like your truck is gonna be THAT bad..

The tranny issue you mentioned might be tied to the plugs and cops..

Fix those and your tranny might be OK. The plates on the LSD probably could use a cheap bottle of friction modifier before you designate them for a replacement.. If you do replace them, get som TRU Trac's! They are not unreasonably priced!! Its a good time to re-gear too if you open the diffs for service.

The timing system is likely due for a rebuild, so there is no avoiding that. Sorry update the solenoids and run 5w-30 for longevity..

The suspension could be a cracked leaf spring, coil, strut, bushings on the struts/shocks, or maybe the stabilizer bar and end links..

All of these are fixable in under an hour with proper tools. With a rough estimate of 3k in parts, you could be sitting with a solid truck, after a bit of "elbow grease" of course. That includes tru trac's, timing rebuild, shocks on all 4 and array of bushings you say you may need..

Yeah, It sure sucks to not get a truck that's mint, especially after you "thought" you did.. But honestly, every truck is a money pit.. If you don't throw the time and money at them gradually, then will just ask for it later in one lump sum..

I hate to say it though, as soon as you pass the buck on the labor to a mechanic, you are basically setting yourself up for a bit of pain.. You might want to consider using the money you would have spent on labor in another way.

Buying tools, renting a shelter or paying a handy friend to help you out are all better investments. Not to mention the knowledge and skill garnered from experience might make the whole ordeal just a little bit worth it..
The following users liked this post:
Cutless009 (03-25-2014)

Quick Reply: Live and Learn