Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Lisle tool stripped the top of broke tip..

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lisle tool stripped the top of broke tip..

Ok guys I've scoured this site and many others on removing broken plugs. I had already purchased the Lisle tool and it worked great on the first plug that broke. Unfortunately the second plug that broke ain't comin' out.

The top of the broken tip where the puller screw is supposed to thread in is stripped. Call it user error or just bad luck. Anyhow I've tried re-tapping the tip and using a 3/8 all thread trick I read but it too didn't have enough to grab onto.

I'm to the point where I'm willing to try anything, I really don't have the money to spend at a shop. I'd have to sell a few of my prized possessions.

The ceramic is pushed down as far as the Lisle tool will allow. If I could push the ceramic even further down or remove it completely I know I could get the Lisle or even the 3/8 all-thread to grip this thing and yank it out.

I've got a long punch I've used to "feel" the broken tip and it could be used with a hammer to try and persuade the ceramic down farther but I reckon I run the risk of the ceramic or perhaps the whole tip falling into the combustion chamber.

Could I drill the ceramic?

If none of that stuff is doable..can I at least drive the thing to a shop? I've put it all back together (minus the one cylinder,injector/coil unplugged) and it fires up fine.

Help?

B.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:56 PM

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

It runs without that plug? I'd say if its running, and as long as the fuel injector is not plugged in, you should be able to limp it to a shop. Worst case is it idles/runs like crap. Worst case on the repair though is they have to pull the head to get that thing out. Be prepared for a steep bill if they go that route....
Old 03-09-2013, 07:05 PM

I started up the motor and ran it for a minute. I decided to take my punch and tap on the ceramic a little and it moved down!? I started up the truck and did the punch again and yup it moved again. So this time.. which I should have done to begin with was stuck my iPhone over the hole and snapped a photo so I could see the issue better.

It appears the ceramic is back at the lip of the shield. The motor blew it back up..now if it would blow it on out. Ideas?

B.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:57 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If the ceramic is loose you could try to vacuum it out? Or get long reach needle nose pliers.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:19 PM

Received 195 Likes on 171 Posts

They have those flexible grabber things at Home Depot with a claw at one end that when you push on the other end it opens the claw to grab stuff. I think it would work great and they are cheap!
Old 03-10-2013, 01:53 PM

I finally got it out! Took the looong punch I had and ground the end to a nice sharp point and started chipping on the porcelain and blowing out the pieces. I've got 5 more plugs to go but I think I'll wait until the next weekend so I have plenty of time for a disaster. I might have a shop do the 2 far back plugs.

B.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:46 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When I used the pusher tool that came in the kit, I put a tiny hose similar to vacuum line and taped it into a shop vac. Tape it real well so it creates a nice suction. After everyone I would put that in and suck out any loose or broken stuff that may be down in there. The porcelain will damage the threads on the tap if you are not careful.
My friends after about 3 (not using the vacuum method) was really dull and would not bite into the plug. I took it to work and sharpened them back up for him. I have also heard of people using loctite and coating the tap threads with it and let it set up inside the plug and then backing the tool out.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:54 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

^^sounds like an interesting technique.

Quick Reply: Lisle tool stripped the top of broke tip..