Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Limited slip rear end

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 11:20 AM
cwcw

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Limited slip rear end

My 06 4.6L F150 has a non-limited slip rear end. Didnt realize this when i bought it or i would have bought one with a limited slip rear end. Do you have to change the complete rear axle to change it over to a limited slip rear end? I couldnt get good traction yesterday in the wet grass going up hill pulling an empty 17ft trailer so i had to pull it up the hill with the tractor. And this wasnt even really a hill, it was a very gradual incline. Looking to see if i can change to a limited slip rear end to get better traction with both rear tires turning. Im also toying with the idea of going to 3.73 gears while I am at it if i go to a limited slip rear end. Would i see much difference between 3.73 gears and the 3.55's that i have now?

Note to self-next truck will be 4x4.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:25 AM
NashBulldawg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will not see much diff goign to a 3.75..... If your going to do it might as well go to a 4.10
Old 04-19-2010, 11:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NashBulldawg
You will not see much diff goign to a 3.75..... If your going to do it might as well go to a 4.10
the only reason I didnt go w/ a 4.10 when I upgraded from the 3.55 was because I do some major hwy driving, like 100/day. straight driving to work. I also go cross country, houston to chicago, and didnt want to eat up my hwy mileage. what kind of numbers are you gettin w/ 4.10's and 35" tires? In all honesty, a 3.89 w/ 35's would equate to your original 3.55 gear ratio.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Slippin

As far as I know, theres no easy way to convert it to a limited slip, short of replacing the whole gear assembly. In my opinion, if you're gonna get a truck, get a 4wd. With 2wd and an open differential, thats pretty much a sedan with a cargo bed when it comes to serious work - but a lot of sedans have the ls. I think your truck is designed for light duty on road cargo transport, not off road towing. Sorry for your predicament man - good luck.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:47 AM
cwcw

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redefinition1
As far as I know, theres no easy way to convert it to a limited slip, short of replacing the whole gear assembly. In my opinion, if you're gonna get a truck, get a 4wd. With 2wd and an open differential, thats pretty much a sedan with a cargo bed when it comes to serious work - but a lot of sedans have the ls. I think your truck is designed for light duty on road cargo transport, not off road towing. Sorry for your predicament man - good luck.
Oh i know its not for off road towing and my next one will be 4x4. When i bought the truck back in 06 i didnt think about that fact that i would be inheiriting the responsibility of taking care of my parents farm that i will be building a house on in the next 5 year or so. I figured a truck was a truck but thats just not the case and i realize i didnt get the right truck. I use my truck on the farm all the time and have no problems except when it is wet. My max towing capacity is 6300 lbs and i never pull anything that heavy. I just didnt know if changing to a limited slip rear end would help me in the slick grass and dirt. I dont go into really heavy mud or anything and if i do i just use my tractor to get through the mud.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:50 AM

Change out your locker. Get an Auburn Auto Cross. I have this on my 2WD and its as capable as anyone's 4WD (And i'm happy to put that to the test if anyone locally wants to).
Old 04-19-2010, 11:52 AM

I got you man. I'm sure there would be a significant difference with the limited slip - but the exact cost and effort to make the conversion I'm not sure about. Or if its worth enough to justify the expense.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:54 AM

Default 2 vs 4

vanoford - we meet in the middle?
Old 04-19-2010, 11:56 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Originally Posted by VanoFord
Change out your locker. Get an Auburn Auto Cross. I have this on my 2WD and its as capable as anyone's 4WD (And i'm happy to put that to the test if anyone locally wants to).
Maybe in 4H...no way in 4L
Old 04-19-2010, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by redefinition1
vanoford - we meet in the middle?
Lol, only if you pay my gas cost after I prove the capability. lol.

to OP, the cost is how much the locker is gonna run you. I did the change myself (since I didnt switch R&P and just the Diff). Took me a few hours. If you heat the ring, and freeze the new diff (heat expands the ring, cold shrinks the housin on the diff), this will allow the ring to slide right on with no banging required. My Auburn ran me just over $400 from 4wheelparts store (locally went into, i recommend calling if you dont have a store near by).

Quick Reply: Limited slip rear end