Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

light issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default light issues

Well; I purchased the Retrofit lights about a year ago ad WOW do I hate these things!!
I have had nothing but problems with them.
After the install the piece that holds the halo just "fell off" one side (they just snap on) so I heated the leans and took it back off to fix (glued it on)
Next the high/low beam mechanism started acting up so I have rewired it several time to make sure of grounds and proper set ups.
Now the right side mechanisim will no longer work (even if I hit it with a straight 12v) so I have to drive around with low beams which aren't adjustable, so I can barely see 30ft in front of the truck.
Guess I need to just buy a stock set and reinstall
These were my decision and my problem, but just wanted to give anyone thinking about them a heads up
Old 06-05-2016, 10:36 AM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

When you say you purchased Retrofit lights are you saying that they were projectors already installed in a factory type housing or something like the spyder or spec-d brand? Around Christmas time last year, I received a set of the spec-d brand and although they were better than the stock bulbs, they definitely were much harder to aim properly, they have the Up/Down/Right/Left adjustments as well but had to take the headlight housings out to be able to adjust them. Got fed up, ordered me a set of OEM housings and new projectors with new bulbs and harness. Finally got around to finishing the retrofit and they are great. I only have adjustment for Up/Down now but the adjustment bolt is right on top where I don't need to remove them to adjust.
I have read on here about the light output of the pre-made Ebay/Amazon brand and it is so awful compared to doing an actual retrofit with the right components but never believed it until actually doing a retrofit myself. Tons of difference, if you want good service and parts, The Retrofit Source is your a great place to start. I bought my parts from Amazon because another member did a build thread last year and had all the parts listed, and the parts still went together great. Good luck, let us know what you plan to do with the retrofit.
Tom
Old 06-06-2016, 06:14 AM

I bought a "kit" from retrofit to install in my stock housing. I read and looked at the vids but to be sure I did it right I contacted retrofit to see if they had specific instructions for my type of vehicle. They said no, they couldn't provide instructions for every type of vehicle so I did them according to what instructions I had and any vids I could find.
There are no provisions for adjusting them. The instructions just had you grind out the stock bulb slot until the projectors fit, and tighten them down. They "aim where they aim"
Now with the high beam mechanisim bad, I cant see anything
Old 06-06-2016, 06:17 AM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Originally Posted by Blowtorch
I bought a "kit" from retrofit to install in my stock housing. I read and looked at the vids but to be sure I did it right I contacted retrofit to see if they had specific instructions for my type of vehicle. They said no, they couldn't provide instructions for every type of vehicle so I did them according to what instructions I had and any vids I could find.
There are no provisions for adjusting them. The instructions just had you grind out the stock bulb slot until the projectors fit, and tighten them down. They "aim where they aim"
That sounds awful...
Old 06-06-2016, 06:19 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Sounds like you bought a cheap kit...
Old 06-06-2016, 04:00 PM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

So, your stock housings do not have the adjuster bolt for aiming up or down? Our stock housing do not adjust left to right but have a long bolt, I believe the head uses a 5/32 for adjustment. If you still have the stock reflector bowl and just ground down the center to fit the projector, then you should have the adjuster. Can you take a pic of the top/back portion of your headlight? When I put mine together, I pre-aimed the lights before disassembly, then used a bubble level to get the projector as straight as possible as the reflector bowl was. I just had to adjust the drivers side a few turns to get the aim right.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:44 PM

They have the adjuster, but they are maxed out (or at least the driver side is and I'm trying to keep them level. There is really nothing left to do but pull the lenses back off, mark them, and adjust them higher before I tightened them back down. I tried to do it with the lense on (from the back) and proably made it worse.
Even if I can get them up, I will still have no high beams, since the passenger side is still no working.......

Quick Reply: light issues