Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Lift kit questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 02:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Lift kit questions

Okay so this is prolly a really dumb question and Ima go with it won't work but is there any way to make a 2wd lift kit work on a 4wd. Guys selling it for under $200 for the full lift and if there's anyway it will work I'll get it because I have to replace my front end anyways. It uses factory coils, one is gone and one of the rods from the rack and pinion is bent. It's the sub frame, spacers and all that good stuff.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

What size lift? Is it a block/spacer lift thats 3" or less? Is it a full 6"? You said subframe so I'm assuming 6"+.

I would err you not to buy it if its is a full lift and not just a level. Its POSSIBLE to make it work, sure. But you'll spend so much money in the process that you'll end up basically buying a new lift kit. And even then it would potentially be impossible. If you want a lift that comes as a whole kit you need to buy one specifically for your vehicle. However, since these trucks run an IFS, lifts are expensive. You'd be looking about $1,800 if you do it yourself.

If you can answer these questions we can give you a lot more info!

TL;DR it'll cost you as much or more than a brand new lift that fits your truck.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:39 PM

It's a full 6" I went to buy the 4wd one but unfortunately my buddy beat me to it.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by shescountry
It's a full 6" I went to buy the 4wd one but unfortunately my buddy beat me to it.
Yeah I definitely wouldn't go for it then. If you really want it go new! or make your buddy a good offer
Old 10-13-2014, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by atnolan94
Yeah I definitely wouldn't go for it then. If you really want it go new! or make your buddy a good offer
Yea it was a full 6" for a 2wd. The guy working in the yard said it was missing all the stuff to drop down the 4wd parts and he said he didn't think it would work. I'm not sure if those lifts use factory rack and pinion or if I would have to buy a new extended rod for the driver side. These lifts are coming off wrecked trucks they part out. The lift he got was in really good shape he's just waiting for them to take it off it's a rcx I'm thinking about offering him $200 for it.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:39 PM

Well worst case, you buy it and it doesn't work and you can sell it on ebay for even more than you bought it for
Old 10-13-2014, 06:45 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

There won't be any brackets for you to drop your front axle and the steering knuckles won't be able to accept your 4wd hub bearings I bet so there is no way for it to work. They are different for a reason
Old 10-13-2014, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by BassAckwards
There won't be any brackets for you to drop your front axle and the steering knuckles won't be able to accept your 4wd hub bearings I bet so there is no way for it to work. They are different for a reason
For reference a new set of knuckles is usually about $1400. A whole lift will run $1800
Old 10-13-2014, 07:12 PM

Yea I ain't messing with it. They called him back and said they wanted another $400 after he already paid $160 so he told them to keep it and they gave him his money back. I debating calling them tomorrow and trying to negotiate with them. I'm not paying $560 for a used lift kit but if I can negotiate with them tomorrow I'll go ahead and tell em to pull it off. I gotta have a front end anyways lol leveling kit killed the front end.

Quick Reply: Lift kit questions