Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Lift Kit Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lift Kit Confusion

I have a 2006 F150 2wd 5.4L V8 XLT 1/2 Ton pickup. I installed a 3" leveling kit on top of my front strusts to compensate for the front end rake. Now that the truck is level, I want to install a 3" suspension lift kit. After installing the leveling kit, it seems like my steering knuckle and upper control arm are stretched to their max. What I want to know is if I need longer knuckles to intall the 3" kit, or if I would be able to do it as is. Thanks to everyone who puts in their time!
Old 01-03-2010, 10:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a 3in. leveling kit and a 3in. suspension lift is the same thing so no you cannot stack them to get 6in.s. also most people go with 2.5in.s max for leveling kits because of that harsh angle.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:39 PM
VanoFord2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^He is correct

Originally Posted by TheCryptKeeper
I have a 2006 F150 2wd 5.4L V8 XLT 1/2 Ton pickup. I installed a 3" leveling kit on top of my front strusts to compensate for the front end rake. Now that the truck is level, I want to install a 3" suspension lift kit. After installing the leveling kit, it seems like my steering knuckle and upper control arm are stretched to their max. What I want to know is if I need longer knuckles to intall the 3" kit, or if I would be able to do it as is. Thanks to everyone who puts in their time!
You should have just went with a 2.5inch.With your 3inch kit,your front end will sit alittle higher now.Now what some ppl have done is replace their control arms with bigger ones,say that of a Total Chaos control arms.Not cheap tho.IMO,take off the 3inch,send it back for a 2.5 inch.Just tell them you ordered the wrong one.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want increase lift, use the leveling kit, plus a 3" body lift. You cannot "stack" a leveling kit and a suspension lift.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:35 AM
RejectedReject

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BJames
If you want increase lift, use the leveling kit, plus a 3" body lift. You cannot "stack" a leveling kit and a suspension lift.

Yes you can stack a leveling kit and suspension lift. Many have done it. But as was said there is no 3" suspension lift kit available. There is a 4" from Rancho but that utilizes the stock springs so that would not work. If you did a 6" fabtech with a 2" level that WOULD work.

Last edited by Ftruck05; 01-04-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lift kit and leveling kit stacking

if you stack the lift kit and the leveling kit on your truck you are going to risk damaging your front drive axles as well as your ball joints and tierod ends. i work for les schwab in northern cali and we had a customer that came in with an 05 f150 extra cab that had a fabtech 6 inch and a 2.5 leveling kit that he installed and he went through 3 sets of axles before he brought it into us to find his problem we removed the 2.5 spacer and no more problems
Old 01-06-2010, 03:07 AM
RejectedReject

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by humbodtscrew
if you stack the lift kit and the leveling kit on your truck you are going to risk damaging your front drive axles as well as your ball joints and tierod ends. i work for les schwab in northern cali and we had a customer that came in with an 05 f150 extra cab that had a fabtech 6 inch and a 2.5 leveling kit that he installed and he went through 3 sets of axles before he brought it into us to find his problem we removed the 2.5 spacer and no more problems

Just having a leveling kit on the rig can trash the CV's. It has nothing to do with if it's stacked or not. If you look at the CV angles on a truck with just a 2.5" kit on it they are pretty nasty. You put them through some good use and the boot will rip and the "drive axle" will fail

Quick Reply: Lift Kit Confusion