Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Leveling/Raising Height

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Leveling/Raising Height

I have no experience with leveling a truck, and don't know a whole lot about it. However, my 04 work truck has sagged over the years. I use it for towing on a daily basis and after almost 8 years it's looking pretty sad. About a year ago I replaced the front shock/strut assembly, but that didn't really do the job. The front end especially seems low to me, and the overall height of the truck seems lower than other trucks I see.

I'd like to bring that height up. Don't need bigger tires, would just like to see some height on the thing. But I worry that raising that front up will cause problems for towing.

What is the effect of towing on a truck that has been leveled or raised in the front? I don't want to hook up the trailer and have the front end too far up in the air once the load brings down the back end. I suppose I could raise the rear up a bit too to counter that.

Any suggestions or help?

Thanks.
Tom
Old 02-06-2012, 11:33 PM

here mine with a 3 inch leveling kit from hell bent steel it didn't change much when towing i tow a 25ft travel trailer just fine with it it sits about 1 inch higher in front when trailer on

Leveling/Raising Height-forumrunner_20120206_222834.jpg
Old 02-07-2012, 12:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

-2" procomp kit, i havent done any towing since it was put on. the only thing i see affecting the ride of the trailer is lifting the rear end, because your hitch would be higher in the air making more distance from the trailer. which would sink the backend of your trailer when you hook up
Old 02-07-2012, 02:22 AM

How do these kits work? The spring/shocks are one unit on these trucks. Is it as simple as just putting a longer strut assembly on there?

On my 73 buick I wanted a rake to the car, to get the rear end up higher, I just put bigger coil springs in the rear. Didn't want to do the spacer thing. Not sure how it would work with the strut assembly they have on the ford trucks.

The other thing I thought of was raising the front and putting heavy duty springs on the rear so the trailer wouldn't sink the rear end too much.

Thanks again.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:17 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Most common front level kit consist of a 2"-3" spaces that bolts on top of your coil/strut assembly...you can buy leveling shocks that are adjustable...Billstien 5100 are common..and you can add a bigger block to the rear or Add a Leaf to your spring pack...all will solve your sag problem
Old 02-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Jerry

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Leveling spacer and add a leaf in the rear since u tow regularly would bring it up some.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:27 PM

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

I have the 2.5 front with a block in the rear that adds 1". However im going to start towing some heavier loads so i have been looking at air bags for the rear also...might be something to look for as well on your part.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mtdman
How do these kits work? The spring/shocks are one unit on these trucks. Is it as simple as just putting a longer strut assembly on there?

On my 73 buick I wanted a rake to the car, to get the rear end up higher, I just put bigger coil springs in the rear. Didn't want to do the spacer thing. Not sure how it would work with the strut assembly they have on the ford trucks.

The other thing I thought of was raising the front and putting heavy duty springs on the rear so the trailer wouldn't sink the rear end too much.

Thanks again.

i dont think its as easy as putting a longer strut assembly on, that just seems too simple. pretty much the spacer sits on top of the strut and sits between the strut and the mounting bracket. the spacers have lugs that go through the mounting bracket, and you put your bolts on.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:04 PM

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

For the front look at Rancho Quicklift Loaded. Its a complete assembly with no spacers required. I put a grill guard on the front of mine and plan to install these to level the front back out or at least thats the plan
Old 02-10-2012, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by techrep
Most common front level kit consist of a 2"-3" spaces that bolts on top of your coil/strut assembly...you can buy leveling shocks that are adjustable...Billstien 5100 are common..and you can add a bigger block to the rear or Add a Leaf to your spring pack...all will solve your sag problem

I've noticed that a lot of people do the billstien 5100 shocks. I assume you have to tear the shock/spring assembly apart to do this, which sounds a bit dangerous. Is there an advantage between doing the billstiens over the spacer? I don't do any kind of offroad stuff, it's a work truck.

Also, does lifting the truck put any strain on the other front end components?

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Leveling/Raising Height