Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Leveling kit VS. 4" Suspension lift

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Leveling kit VS. 3" Suspension lift

Hey gals and guys:

My current setup is 2.5 leveling kit, but I'm wanting a lil more height. I was searching for some 6" lift, but with parts and labor I don't think it'll be in my budget right now. I came across a 3" suspension lift made by Skyjacker for around 500 bucks.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on these lifts?

Will there be a big difference compared to my current set up?

Or if you guys know of a 6" lift that is cheap in price and well built, shoot me out some susgestions.

Thanks!

Last edited by 06XLT4x4; 05-04-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 06XLT4x4
Hey gals and guys:

My current setup is 2.5 leveling kit, but I'm wanting a lil more height. I was searching for some 6" lift, but with parts and labor I don't think it'll be in my budget right now. I came across a 3" suspension lift made by Skyjacker for around 500 bucks.

Or if you guys know of a 6" lift that is cheap in price and well built, shoot me out some susgestions.

Thanks!
Don't waste your money on the 3"... you'll want bigger.. if a leveling kit is not cutting it for you.. the 3" lift will look almost the same... Save up for the 6" lift and be happy with it the first time...
Old 05-04-2011, 03:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The 3" is a pair of shocks that are essentially just a bigger leveling kit, and will have your suspension way beyond factory geometry. It will ride like crap and stuff will break.

Do it right and just save up for a full suspension lift with a proper differential drop.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by 06XLT4x4
Hey gals and guys:

Thanks!
I have a fabtech 6in it's pricey. I hear zone suspension lifts makes a good quality and cheap 6in or you could always go with rough country
Old 05-04-2011, 04:22 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by mSaLL150
The 3" is a pair of shocks that are essentially just a bigger leveling kit, and will have your suspension way beyond factory geometry. It will ride like crap and stuff will break.

Do it right and just save up for a full suspension lift with a proper differential drop.
I have 20k miles on my skyjacker and nothing has broken and the ride is fine. You may want to have personal experience before you negatively advertise things as fact.

It's a longer strut which is equivalent to a 3" leveling kit and 3" lift leaf springs and new shocks. Works Great for a great price! Will my CV Joints and the like possibly wear out sooner? Yeah, but they will wear out eventually anyways since I don't ever plan to sell the truck and it's better than spending $1500 if that's not a price your wanting to go for in a lift.

For offroad ability the skyjacker lift is better than just a leveling kit and for me it was the perfect fit becuz I wanted no more than 4"s of lift and an extra grand for the rancho didn't seem worth it.

I also installed the kit myself in two nights.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Go Noles >>---;--->

rough country makes s good 4" lift for $1299 but for $100 more you can just get the 6"
Old 05-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Proudly Canadian

Received 124 Likes on 113 Posts

Rancho also makes a 4 inch. Not sure on price, but I have heard it's very good.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:17 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BassAckwards
I have 20k miles on my skyjacker and nothing has broken and the ride is fine. You may want to have personal experience before you negatively advertise things as fact.

It's a longer strut which is equivalent to a 3" leveling kit and 3" lift leaf springs and new shocks. Works Great for a great price! Will my CV Joints and the like possibly wear out sooner? Yeah, but they will wear out eventually anyways since I don't ever plan to sell the truck and it's better than spending $1500 if that's not a price your wanting to go for in a lift.

For offroad ability the skyjacker lift is better than just a leveling kit and for me it was the perfect fit becuz I wanted no more than 4"s of lift and an extra grand for the rancho didn't seem worth it.

I also installed the kit myself in two nights.
I'm glad you've had good luck in the first 20k miles, hopefully it continues but as we know more miles = more wear/tear. I would hate to get stranded because my CV joint or ball joint went out when out in the field, a risk I am not willing to intensify by going the cheap route. It is certainly better to get replacement shocks over a leveling kit, I agree with you there.

However, I have riden in a F150 with this 3" kit and the ride was far worse than the ride with a truck equipped with a proper differential drop. Very limited suspension travel. I would be very scared to take it offroad to my hunting spots.

Originally Posted by clpeller
Rancho also makes a 4 inch. Not sure on price, but I have heard it's very good.
The Rancho is a fantastic kit.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:05 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by mSaLL150
Very limited suspension travel. I would be very scared to take it offroad to my hunting spots.

The Rancho is a fantastic kit.

It adds compressing travel but reduces rebound travel in the front. The six and four inch lift add no travel any direction in the front since it keeps stock geometry.

And yes the rancho is an excellent kit. To the OP mSaLL150 is right, if you have the money go for the differential drop kit. But if your not willing to go that high, the skyjacker will suit your needs. Idk however if you have to irreversibly modify the truck for the Rancho, but that was another point of the skyjacker I wanted is that I wanted to be able to return to stock if needed.

Quick Reply: Leveling kit VS. 4" Suspension lift