Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Leveling kit issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leveling kit issue

I tried to install a 2,5 inch leveling kit and after I installed the spacers the struts were too long and would not fit. Any idea what I am doing wrong?
Old 11-29-2014, 11:22 AM

Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

Did you use the strut compressors from auto zone ?
Old 11-29-2014, 11:45 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

still have to compresss them slightly with the spacers on to clear the upper mount....i found out the hard way too lol, youll love the truck after the level i guarantee!
Attached Images  
Old 11-29-2014, 12:17 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

This^^^ I ended up taking the lower control loose to get it back together, lost my patience and done it the hard way lol
Old 11-29-2014, 12:56 PM

I did not try leaving the spring compressors on before I put them in. I did compress them to replace the shocks and honestly there was so much tension on them even with an impact it was brutal to get them compressed enough to get the shock out. I guess I should have tried leaving the compressors on, it was late I was tired and had to wrap it up. Was a long day as I replaced the struts, the lower ball joints (brutal to get out) and also the upper control arms. Funny, my air compressor was having a hard time keeping up when I was tensioning the springs and like a dummy I forgot I had an electric impact in my toolbox, duh.....

If anyone has any tips on a better way to compress the springs I am all ears.

Ill give it a go again next weekend.

Thanks guys.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:38 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

You shouldn't have to compress anything for a level kit. Pull the strut assembly out and the lower A arm will drop a lot giving you plenty of clearance to put your strut back in with the new spacer on top. Here's a pic of mine before I dropped lower control arm. As you can see the jack is holding it up. Once I lowered it, the strut fell right out. Even with a 3 inch spacer it went right back in with room to spare. Just had to jack up the lower arm to align with the lower strut mount when I put it back in. Good luck.
Name:  5.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  76.6 KB
Old 11-29-2014, 05:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had to use a piece of metal and a hammer to slowly hammer the strut into place because it seemed too long. It'll all go back together man, took me multiple hours, badly cut up hand but in the end its totally worth it haha. Hope everything got resolved.

Last edited by 06AriBei; 11-29-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:52 PM

Received 267 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick's 06
You shouldn't have to compress anything for a level kit. Pull the strut assembly out and the lower A arm will drop a lot giving you plenty of clearance to put your strut back in with the new spacer on top. Here's a pic of mine before I dropped lower control arm. As you can see the jack is holding it up. Once I lowered it, the strut fell right out. Even with a 3 inch spacer it went right back in with room to spare. Just had to jack up the lower arm to align with the lower strut mount when I put it back in. Good luck.
I'm with you on this on how to install, no spring compressors or beating with metal, hammers, blood (well maybe a little blood). I just supported the truck with a jackstand on the frame, took upper ball joing and tie rod off and lowered the bottom A-arm with jack. Put a 2.5 level on about 1 hour each side.

For the OP, what level kit did you buy and is your truck a 4x4?
Old 11-29-2014, 07:59 PM

My truck is a 2004 F150 XLT 4x4. The leveling kit is made by Motofab.

Last edited by Acxpert; 11-29-2014 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:01 AM

Received 51 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Acxpert
My truck is a 2004 F150 XLT 4x4. The leveling kit is made by Motofab.
I bought a motofab kit(3") and had to drop the LCA. Didn't like the nose high so I bought a motofab 2.5". The bottom of the strut slid in but didn't line up to push the bolt through so I used the tire iron to pry it up from the LCA and the bolt slid through. After installing and removing both kits several times I will add that it will be much easier to jack the LCA up to re install the tie rod and to not tighten everything to spec until you have the weight of the vehicle on the suspension. Also, if you go to remove it, it's much easier to remove the tie rod end before you jack the truck up.

Quick Reply: Leveling kit issue