Leveling Kit/ Control Arm HELP - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans



Leveling Kit/ Control Arm HELP

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-24-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
Hobie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 155
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Leveling Kit/ Control Arm HELP

Hello, I recently put a 3" leveling kit on my 04 FX4 F150, I got it from Fat Bob's garage, its the solid aluminium one fyi. It was a pain to put on but I finally got it. The truck looks great but now the problem I have is...

My upper control arms are dropped all the way down and are just bout to touch the springs, they do touch the springs when the suspension drops down. This didn't look right at all and I know this is putting a lot of stress on my ball joints on the upper control arms and can possibly cause the ball joints to fail and cause a BIG mess, so I talked to a 4 wheel drive mechanic and he agreed with me and said that I would need aftermarket upper control arms.

My question is, has anybody had the same problem I have encountered? and does anybody know of a company that makes aftermarket upper control arms for my truck?

Thank you and sorry for the very long post, but I am in large need of help and have searched google and haven't found much. Thank You again.
HJDF150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
Hobie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 155
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Anybody have a clue what I am talking bout?

up.
HJDF150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:52 PM   #3
Inaugural TOTM
5 Year Member
 
wxmcpo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 3,422
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Default

This is why it's recommended to go no higher than a 2.5" leveling kit, way too much stress on the front suspension. I know you've already paid for the kit and either did the work yourself or paid to have it done and aligned, but if it were me I'd remove the kit and purchase a 2.5" kit. Sorry.
wxmcpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:47 AM   #4
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,103
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

camburg and total chaos make upper arms from our trucks. i would switch to a 2.5" leveling kit while your at it
luckythirteen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:16 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
iceman302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA
Posts: 208
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckythirteen13 View Post
camburg and total chaos make upper arms from our trucks. i would switch to a 2.5" leveling kit while your at it
What is the main advantage of the control arms? Is it added strength, better geometry, or both?
iceman302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:43 PM   #6
Hobie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 155
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I did all the work myself and it was a huge pain in the *** so I would rather not mess with that whole thing if I can find some decently priced upper control arms. Thanks for the help.
HJDF150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #7
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 601
Thanked 30 Times in 26 Posts
Default

This is a common problem.

One manufacturer has solved it. AUTOSPRING. You'll have to google them, I can't remember the address. Their 3" kit has an offset specifically to address this problem. I have a 2.5 in my truck, but my buddy has a 3" and fully relaxed control arms, NOTHING HITS. Nice kit, heavy duty.

Last edited by driver444; 02-09-2009 at 11:28 AM. Reason: typo
driver444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #8
ranorris2
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Total Chaos and Camburg are the only after market upper control arms that I know of...and they will run you around 700-800 bucks. My ball joints are at a severe angle like yours and I have the 2.5" leveling kit, I just ordered some total chaos uca's yesterday so hopefully those fix the problem
ranorris2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default I need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJDF150 View Post
Hello, I recently put a 3" leveling kit on my 04 FX4 F150, I got it from Fat Bob's garage, its the solid aluminium one fyi. It was a pain to put on but I finally got it. The truck looks great but now the problem I have is...

My upper control arms are dropped all the way down and are just bout to touch the springs, they do touch the springs when the suspension drops down. This didn't look right at all and I know this is putting a lot of stress on my ball joints on the upper control arms and can possibly cause the ball joints to fail and cause a BIG mess, so I talked to a 4 wheel drive mechanic and he agreed with me and said that I would need aftermarket upper control arms.

My question is, has anybody had the same problem I have encountered? and does anybody know of a company that makes aftermarket upper control arms for my truck?

Thank you and sorry for the very long post, but I am in large need of help and have searched google and haven't found much. Thank You again.
I have had a similar problem as well. I did a 2.5'' leveling kit on my 2003 F150 with coil spring and shocks. Now my upper control arms are hitting the top of the coil spring/shock housing. Have you figured out what to do with your issue? Any ideas would be awesome thank you!
Service Truck 1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
Mark
5 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
 
techrep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Va. Beach, VA.
Posts: 27,489
Thanked 1,163 Times in 1,030 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJDF150 View Post
I did all the work myself and it was a huge pain in the *** so I would rather not mess with that whole thing if I can find some decently priced upper control arms. Thanks for the help.
Lol...your going to have to pull it apart again to replace UCA's and then spend another $800...ditch the FatBob 3in spacer and install an autospring 2.5 inch and get an alignment...$200 Fixed Right !!
techrep is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fox 2.5 Squeak/Creak Noise, HELP!! Wis_Skier_23 2015 - Present Ford F150 48 10-19-2016 03:19 AM
Lower Control Arm Bolts BubbaChavis Off-Road Section 4 09-09-2015 12:30 AM
Lower Control Arm Bolts BubbaChavis Maintenance Shop 1 09-08-2015 11:09 AM
New Member with lower control arm problems BubbaChavis Introductions 2 09-08-2015 01:40 AM
Alignment right after upper control arm replacment Fordfan2006 1997 - 2003 Ford F150 3 09-02-2015 09:42 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:21 PM.


Copyright 2006 - 2016 F150Forum.com