Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

leveling kit, axle too short?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 05:57 PM
'04 FX4 Scab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leveling kit, axle too short?

anyone have issues with replacement axles?

my truck is a 2004 non H fx4 scab. During a ball joint job i noticed my right CV boot was torn. Within 1 day the truck got a nasty rattle, only in 2wd, and only when im moving, and on the gas, and its worse when its warm out. If i get off the gas or switch it into 4wd the noise goes away instantly. all this and i have a torn CV boot...

SO i spent $70 on a cheap replacement from a local advance auto. slapped it in, and it bound up so bad with the leveling kit in the truck jumped when it spun. SO after dealing with the noise for several weeks I took my leveling kit out (which makes my truck look like it likes other boy trucks) and slapped in the cheap axle... after getting quoted 400 just for the part from ford.

anyone else have this problem and/or a solution? the new cheap axle i bought looks like it might just be a bit longer BUT the rattle is still there, so when i replace the hub ill put the leveling kit back in. thanks in advance.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:02 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Have you looked into the IWE solenoid?
Old 06-29-2010, 09:16 PM
'04 FX4 Scab

Is the IWE solenoid actually mounted on the rear of the hub itself? If so, would replacing the hub come with a new IWE solenoid? It doesnt sound like a bearing noise but that could kill two birds with one stone.

and its not that i think the short axle is causing the noise, it was there pre-axle replacement, but i was wondering what people with leveling kits use without paying the $455 list price for a ford axle.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:28 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

The solenoid is mounted away from the axle up under the hood by the firewall, but controls the vacuum pressure to the IWEs. It's known to go bad.

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/4x4-tro...g-guide-39789/
Old 06-29-2010, 11:45 PM
'04 FX4 Scab

now you got me reading on the IWEs and the solenoid, im not entirely sure it would be the solenoid as much as the IWE seeing as its just the front right, and more of a rattling than a grinding noise. I do think i should start a new thread about the rattling noise, seeing as i originally posted about the CV itself. thanks for all your help gatorb8
Old 07-05-2010, 10:24 PM
'04 FX4 Scab

So still, has anyone had an issue with aftermarket replacement CVs being too short and binding with a leveling kit?
Old 07-13-2010, 05:48 PM
MurF150

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ford says leveling kit is to blame

I put a leveling kit in my 2006 4.6L F150 4x4 STX. About five months later my passenger sideAfxle boot split. I had it replaced with genuine ford parts . . .five months later the boot split again. It was replaced , as well as the hubs, vacume tubes and valve/actuator and solenoid check valve assembly. When I drove away I had an obnoxious random ratteling when accelerating. Brought it back and the replaced another valve. Noise is gone but they told me that leveling kit is to blame for problems. I am hoping it's not to blame cause a suspension lift kit is pricey and the raked look just doesnt do it for me - anyone else have any input on the issue??!!!

Quick Reply: leveling kit, axle too short?