Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Level, spacer, & 35" help.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Level, spacer, & 35" help.

I have a 2008 SCrew 4x4. When I bought it I could tell it had lift spacers on the front. Based on a lot of research I thought 35's would fit. I just had a set of Toyo M/T 35-12.50-18 installed on the stock wheels ($1500). They rub the frame and control arms before full lock. Before I realized it they were rubbing the upper ball joints, they destroyed the boots and will have to replaced soon ($200+). So I bought 2" wheel spacers ($150) and I knew it would be close to the fender and bumper. With no spring compression they dig into the lower corner of the fender and bumper trim bad. I can't even turn in my driveway, much less go off road. I don't mind trimming the bumper trim, but not the fender. Could this be as simple as the level kit being too small? I can pull one out and measure it, but is it a 1 to 1 ratio or does the suspension geometry make the lift more than the spacer? I'd buy a larger level kit, but I can't keep throwing money at this if its not going to work. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:59 AM
2004 FX4 Scab

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I've got a 3" level by hbs on my 04 fx4 with 35x12.50x18 trail grapplers. Almost identical tires to the toyos. I only have actual rub at right before full lock. Other than that. I can do just about anything anyone else can. I do have a set of .25" (I think) wheel spacers I'm debating on putting on. But I haven't had any real troubles yet. Me personally, don't let people scare ya away from the 3" level. They'll say it's nothing but nad news and it's it's a bad idea. Well I've had mine in for almost 2 years and nothing. Hope some of this helps!
Old 04-12-2014, 03:55 AM
Texas Aggie

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Do not put a 3" leveling kit on, you'll tear apart your front end. I honestly don't even know how people reinstall their coilovers with those damn things on top of them. 2.5" is the "safe" limit for a level, otherwise, you'll be replacing those new UCAs in a few thousand miles cause the BJs will be trashed again, not to mention you'd probably tear your half shafts up too.

Full 35x12.5" tires, especially Toyos and Nittos which are actually 13.4" wide, are too wide for stock wheels with 6" of backspacing. They're also too wide to be on a 7.5" wide wheel. All you did with the spacer was change from extremely high backspacing to extremely low backspacing, both of which are bad for fitting tires haha. Personally, I still think full 35s are too big to be a leveled 4x4s, but people do it all the time.

A 2.5" level kit measures about 2" tall because it does indeed gain some height from changes in geometry.

Best thing to do, shop for some aftermarket 18" wheels with about 5" of backspacing. A decent set can be had for about $700, craigslist should have some for less if you live near a city. I know it's sucky having to make a bunch of changes, but those are the joys we all experience while working on and modifying our trucks, believe me, I've had my own too haha

Last edited by KMAC0694; 04-12-2014 at 04:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
johnny_tucson (04-13-2014)
Old 04-12-2014, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As bad as I hate to I might have to use 1/4" shims just to get them off the ball joints. I know they're not hub centric, but I guess I'm out of options. I've blown just about all the big money I can this year. If it wasn't for the sidewall lugs, I wouldn't have any issues.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:35 AM
2004 FX4 Scab

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by KMAC0694
Do not put a 3" leveling kit on, you'll tear apart your front end. I honestly don't even know how people reinstall their coilovers with those damn things on top of them. 2.5" is the "safe" limit for a level, otherwise, you'll be replacing those new UCAs in a few thousand miles cause the BJs will be trashed again, not to mention you'd probably tear your half shafts up too.

Full 35x12.5" tires, especially Toyos and Nittos which are actually 13.4" wide, are too wide for stock wheels with 6" of backspacing. They're also too wide to be on a 7.5" wide wheel. All you did with the spacer was change from extremely high backspacing to extremely low backspacing, both of which are bad for fitting tires haha. Personally, I still think full 35s are too big to be a leveled 4x4s, but people do it all the time.

A 2.5" level kit measures about 2" tall because it does indeed gain some height from changes in geometry.

Best thing to do, shop for some aftermarket 18" wheels with about 5" of backspacing. A decent set can be had for about $700, craigslist should have some for less if you live near a city. I know it's sucky having to make a bunch of changes, but those are the joys we all experience while working on and modifying our trucks, believe me, I've had my own too haha
I beg the differ my kind sir. My 35s are sitting on my stock 18s just fine. And over the 2 years I've had the 3" level on. The only problem I've had was my iwe solenoid going bad. And that's not even caused by the level. I've had nothing but good things to say about it. But to each their own. I understand if people worry. These trucks aren't a cheap investment lol
The following users liked this post:
stringer (04-14-2014)
Old 04-12-2014, 12:16 PM
Chive So Hard

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

It all can be said too that it depends on the kind of level that you have. Spacers are all well and good but in some case, depending on the brand, are not intended to house a 35" tire. Coilover levels from what I have experienced seem to be a good way to lift that front end up and help keep that geometry that seems to be effected when spacers are used. There are plenty of people here on this forum that could go on for days about what set up to use, what wheel backspacing is good and what isnt, tire width and diameter, etc. It all comes down to how you want it to look and what you have researched to make it work.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:54 PM
Texas Aggie

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparkie04FX4
I beg the differ my kind sir. My 35s are sitting on my stock 18s just fine. And over the 2 years I've had the 3" level on. The only problem I've had was my iwe solenoid going bad. And that's not even caused by the level. I've had nothing but good things to say about it. But to each their own. I understand if people worry. These trucks aren't a cheap investment lol
Just goes to show that every truck is different, because there are plenty of people that have full 35s on stock wheels, like you and like I said, but I personally think they're too big and wouldn't want them. I also couldn't imagine running a 3" level because of how absolutely severe the angles are. I'd be afraid to afraid the truck at all. I just can't recommend to others to put one on their truck, but they can certainly do so, as some don't have trouble (yet )

1/4" spacers cover up threads, so I can't recommend those either, but they're better than 1/2" ones. Just sad to think (and not that you knew or anything but) had you gotten wheels first, $400+ of items could've been avoided, which is more than halfway there to the cost of wheels.

Last edited by KMAC0694; 04-12-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:05 PM
"Lifted"

Received 223 Likes on 200 Posts

You may be getting your rub from the 12.50 tires... Pretty wide on stockers.. You'd have to get new rims with a different offset and push them out..

NOW.... With that being said... I've seen a **** ton of guys with your setup run stockers and 35's with no rub at all... Front valance or rear of the fender.. Each truck is different..

3" level... Guys have ran that setup for years with no issues... BUT.. I'm sure and almost positive that if you offroad it hard your chances of breaking something will increase.. I say live life.. If you want a 3" level.. Go for it... Most who say no never had that size installed and they are only regurgitating what someone else said.. The only truth is your angles will be at f***ed up angles..
Old 04-12-2014, 05:05 PM

Received 51 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by KingRanch4Life
You may be getting your rub from the 12.50 tires... Pretty wide on stockers.. You'd have to get new rims with a different offset and push them out.. NOW.... With that being said... I've seen a **** ton of guys with your setup run stockers and 35's with no rub at all... Front valance or rear of the fender.. Each truck is different.. 3" level... Guys have ran that setup for years with no issues... BUT.. I'm sure and almost positive that if you offroad it hard your chances of breaking something will increase.. I say live life.. If you want a 3" level.. Go for it... Most who say no never had that size installed and they are only regurgitating what someone else said.. The only truth is your angles will be at f***ed up angles..
i blew out my bearing bushings from a 3" puck with 75k on the truck after only 2 months. Maybe they were already goin to go...bud I think the 3" puck had a lot to do with it. Down to the 2.5 made a big difference but I'm still showing signs of stress. Been thinkin hard about doing it the right way after the repair costs.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:03 AM
"Lifted"

Received 223 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny_tucson
i blew out my bearing bushings from a 3" puck with 75k on the truck after only 2 months. Maybe they were already goin to go...bud I think the 3" puck had a lot to do with it. Down to the 2.5 made a big difference but I'm still showing signs of stress. Been thinkin hard about doing it the right way after the repair costs.
Guess you'll never know.. All this **** is pretty tricky... Lifting would put you back to oem angles but some will say " you are putting stress on X YZ".... In your case, when its costing you money to keep repairing i know you don't want to hear theories.. You want solutions.. I know i would

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Level, spacer, & 35" help.