Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Level kit? Front or Rear? I cant make up my mind!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Level kit? Front or Rear? I cant make up my mind!

First I have a 2006 Harley 4wd with oem rims and 305/40/22 nitto terra grapplers.

ok so I am debating on either dropping the back to level it or to adding spacers to the front to level it. I cant make up my mind. what do you guys think?

part of me wants to lift the front because it will look a little bit more truck like but then I am thinking my gas milage will go down a bit. plus I use the bed a lot for work and I tow a little trailer. wondering if the lift will make it a bit harder to do all this.

then the other part of me wants to lower in the back. might save on gas and plus im thinking it might make the access to the bed a bit easier. but im not sure if I will be happy with it lower than other trucks.

What do you guys think? I cant make up my mind!
Old 02-24-2014, 08:10 AM
Black & Chrome

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Lifting the front or lowering the back will not change your mpg's. Larger/heavier tires will lower your mpg's. Also, the lift will have zero effect on your towing capabilities. You might want to buy a new draw bar with a different drop, but with this little of an adjustment, it shouldn't be necessary.

By lifting the front, you will create more space between the top of the tire and the fender well. Lowering the back will decrease this same measurement. Your cheapest route would probably be to throw a spacer up front to level it out. Another option, which would cost a little more but provide a better ride, would be to use 2" lift struts. Just some options.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:11 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I was having the same debate in my head. I asked a lot of guys on here about the loss of mileage after the lift and they said it was minimal but it did go down a bit. I looked into ordering drop shackles for the back and there were not expensive but i can't remember how much they were, i load my box a lot so dropping the back was what i was going to do, but they told me i that when i load the truck heavy it will bottom out on the stoppers as there will be less travel for the springs. So i did nothing yet and probably wont just for those 5-6 times a year i max out my payload or haul a heavy trailer, i hate that feeling of it bottoming out
Old 02-27-2014, 07:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a pic of your truck or the wheels? I am trying to decide between 20s and 22s with Terra Grapplers for my 2013 Screw FX4. I don't want to mess with levelling it so if they would fit stock that would be great.

If I were you, out of your two options, I would raise the front. The only thing that is holding me back right now is not wanting to mess up any suspension parts on a new truck. If you stay conservative with a 1" - 2" level on the front that shouldn't be too stressful....... from what I've been reading.

Quick Reply: Level kit? Front or Rear? I cant make up my mind!