Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Lets help the Chevy guy out...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets help the Chevy guy out...

Hey guys, Id like to start off saying ive searched the forums up and down and im sure a lot of you are sick of seeing misfire questions. Im getting desperate. I have a good friend that happens to be a die hard chevy guy who took a chance and got rid of his Silverado and bought a great looking 06 Screw King Ranch. He loves the look of it but he started having issues rite off the rip. Really starting to leave a bad taste in his mouth which kinda kills me seeing as how I probably swayed his opinion in getting the Ford.. Anyhow, it has the common misfire symptoms. No miss when you shower down on the gas, def there at idle and under slight load crusing. He has had the same codes ran over and over again indicating a misfire on bank one cylinder 1 & 2. We have changed all his plugs, 3 were literally broke. We changed Coil Packs, Fuel Filter, Fresh Oil, Fresh K&N filter, new VCT solenoid on Bank 1, and a new Cam Position sensor for bank 1, and a new battery because Auto zone told him his last one was going which is believable. Im at a loss on this one, Motor sounds solid and strong, no indications of motor damage or chain/timing issues as far as I can tell. Ive owned a 5.4 and chased a misfire but never to this extent. He probably has over 600$ worth of money into it and if its gotten any better its only barely. He took it in for a diagnostic to a local mom and pop shop and all they said was it was either the VCT or timing issues possibly Cam Phaser. They told him the Ford dealership would be able to pin point the problem better with there software. I dont believe its cam phaser related because I dont here any ticking/knocking/pinging at all from the heads. The truck is basically stock besides and lift kit and 33's, and some flow masters. Is it possible this could all be caused from a o2 sensors from bank one malfunctioning? The shop ruled out any electrical problems like the wiring or Injectors. The latest codes that autozone has pulled which were before we put in the new VCT solinoid were as follows P350/P351/P355/P356/P357/P358.. I usually dont ask for help much but I could really use it here guys. Thanks!!
Old 03-13-2016, 10:29 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,599 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Well since he has done all that, I am leaning toward cam phasers/timing as well.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:05 AM
Some guy

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Clogged cats?
Old 03-15-2016, 03:06 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I had slitghtly different symptoms about a year ago, just to make a long story short after taking it to two dealerships I had bent valves on 2 cylinders. for some reason everything would line up correctly and you would never know anything was wrong, but 10 seconds later it might start missing and would barely run. I replaced everything you've talked about as well as the egr.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:47 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,599 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Originally Posted by jb2012
I had slitghtly different symptoms about a year ago, just to make a long story short after taking it to two dealerships I had bent valves on 2 cylinders. for some reason everything would line up correctly and you would never know anything was wrong, but 10 seconds later it might start missing and would barely run. I replaced everything you've talked about as well as the egr.
There is no EGR on the 04-08 5.4......
The following users liked this post:
connorfx4 (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 03:59 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

You need someone with the proper scanner to do a diagnosis. Many smaller shops will not pop for the added cost of software for many vehicles.

You need someone with the Ford software. Yes a dealer will have it but many Indy guys will too. You need good information before he wastes any more money.

Stop guessing and diagnosis it properly. An paid hour of a GOOD mechanic is worth far more then you will pay him. Find the right guy first. Also not all dealer guys are good.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, well currently it is up at Green Ford in Greensboro NC. So far I am not impressed with there communication skills at all. As of rite now, He is supposed to have an answer on the issues tomorrow morning. They mentioned it was possible it could be the Cam Phasers, OR an Alternator issue causing it to emit a frequency throwing the timing off in the motor?? Never heard of that before, but they said there was a TSB on it. I've been reluctant to find it. This motor makes no unusual sounds, and It runs like dog **** from the moment it starts to the moment it stops. In other words, on a cold start or even after the motor has warmed up. The misfire is immediate. What are some ways to verify that is 100% The Cam Phasers if that is what they say it is because I do not believe that is the issue?

Quick Reply: Lets help the Chevy guy out...