Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

LED wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 08:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LED wiring help

Alright so I know a lot of you are savvy at wiring up LEDs and use them for footwell light inside and underflow outside as well as many other areas. Im wanting to get some RGB LED strips and put them under the front, rear, each side and under the hood to light up inside the grille, as well as the floor wells inside.

I live in Mississippi and know I probably can't turn them on exteriorly while I'm driving down the road so I was going to put a switch on the battery and then run my lights to the switch so when I'm offroad or at field parties, I can turn them on.

As for wiring single color strips, they have a sole black and red wire coming out of the end; however, with the RGB, they have 4 colored wires coming out to a female ended clip.

My question is, how do i wire these up? whether it be connecting two strips to each other or all of them to a power source since there is four wires?

I plan to run the rear and one side together and then bring the other end of the side to the front to hook to wires leading to my switch and then connect the other side, the front, and the strip under my hood together and run them to the wires for the switch.

As for the interior, I want to cut 4 sections and place one in each footwell and run them to another switch beside my current one. This way i can turn them on and off while I'm riding at night or have them off during the day. I realize i could probably splice them into my light switch so they turn on with my lights but I want to have the freedom to not have them on all the time if i decide that.

These are the lights i am looking at getting, as i have seen others here use them as well. You can see in the pic, the four wires and clip I am talking about.

Amazon Amazon
Old 10-20-2014, 01:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Soldier5047
Alright so I know a lot of you are savvy at wiring up LEDs and use them for footwell light inside and underflow outside as well as many other areas. Im wanting to get some RGB LED strips and put them under the front, rear, each side and under the hood to light up inside the grille, as well as the floor wells inside.

I live in Mississippi and know I probably can't turn them on exteriorly while I'm driving down the road so I was going to put a switch on the battery and then run my lights to the switch so when I'm offroad or at field parties, I can turn them on.

As for wiring single color strips, they have a sole black and red wire coming out of the end; however, with the RGB, they have 4 colored wires coming out to a female ended clip.

My question is, how do i wire these up? whether it be connecting two strips to each other or all of them to a power source since there is four wires?

I plan to run the rear and one side together and then bring the other end of the side to the front to hook to wires leading to my switch and then connect the other side, the front, and the strip under my hood together and run them to the wires for the switch.

As for the interior, I want to cut 4 sections and place one in each footwell and run them to another switch beside my current one. This way i can turn them on and off while I'm riding at night or have them off during the day. I realize i could probably splice them into my light switch so they turn on with my lights but I want to have the freedom to not have them on all the time if i decide that.

These are the lights i am looking at getting, as i have seen others here use them as well. You can see in the pic, the four wires and clip I am talking about.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IN4Y7VS/...ter_B00HZ0A0B2
I would personally suggest wiring all the strips to a controller inside your cab. Then you can wire you're controller to the battery (be sure to include a in-line fuse). You can buy a kit on amazon similar to the one above, but it will come with a controller and the led strips. If you cut them, make sure to re-seal the led strip ends with some silicone or something
Old 10-20-2014, 08:31 AM

I was planning on running them to a switch inside my cab but my main issue is the RGB have four colored wires on the end, unlike the common red and black like on a solid color. How do I go about hooking those up, treating them like a +\-?
Old 10-20-2014, 11:03 AM

Come on guys, I know someone has some pics/info on how to wire these things up...
Old 10-20-2014, 03:06 PM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Is your strip Common Cathode or Common Anode. One will have 1 hot and 3 grounds and the other will have 1 ground and 3 hots. Also are you just looking to make basic colors by switching each channel ( red green and blue ) if not you will need a controller to drive them.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:35 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You will wire your LED strips to the white controller, then the controller to your 12 volt supply. I used the same LEDs, hooked into the parking light circuit for my 12V supply. Now my LEDs come on when the door opens or auto headlights kick on.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by 05jakev
Is your strip Common Cathode or Common Anode. One will have 1 hot and 3 grounds and the other will have 1 ground and 3 hots. Also are you just looking to make basic colors by switching each channel ( red green and blue ) if not you will need a controller to drive them.
I would like to have the ability to switch between all colors and use the full range of colors the RGB has to offer. Take a look at the link in my first post. Look at the wires at the ends of the strips, is that what you are referring to?
Old 10-20-2014, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by MixMastaMM
You will wire your LED strips to the white controller, then the controller to your 12 volt supply. I used the same LEDs, hooked into the parking light circuit for my 12V supply. Now my LEDs come on when the door opens or auto headlights kick on.
So is the white controller my "switch" or could i wire it to my switch that I'm wanting to use to turn them on/off? And are your strips interior or exterior? Could you possibly post some pics of what you have, wiring included? Thx so much
Old 10-21-2014, 06:02 PM

Any one got any input here for me?
Old 10-21-2014, 08:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

all i can tell you without physically being able to put a meter on your strip is that it has one common hot wire and three ground wires. idk what color is what. but if you have a meter you can find which wire has continuity to all three other wires. when you find that one you know its your common hot wire.

Quick Reply: LED wiring help