Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

LED strip in footwells...wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LED strip in footwells...wiring question

I bought four LED strips and want to light up the footwells. My question is do I just tape into the dome and let the LEDs light up when dome does and turn off when dome does?

or figure out how to have them hooked to daylight running lights and have them on at night???

or just do it to a switch?
anyone do this either way and could offer tips or suggestions? and i am not wiring expert at all so all info would be great! thanks
Old 03-28-2013, 10:17 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I did mine to my light switch wire on the back of my pioneer head unit.. That way wen I switch on the lights they come on. With the parking lamps and the actual headlights... I love it cuz I don't ever have to worry about turning on and off a switch
Old 03-29-2013, 08:14 AM

yeah i would prefer never having to worry about flipping a switch everytime I got in or out.
My ultimate would be having them come on with DRL when it gets dark enough outside and then off when its light out.
But I guess I could settle with tying into the dome if need be.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:45 AM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

How I did mine was find a "hot" fuse when your ignition is on in your fuse box, I ground mine directly to where i mounted them and then ran a wire up to the fuse box, take the fuse out and slip the wire in that spot then put the fuse back in and I have never had a problem doing it that way.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by KC-F150
How I did mine was find a "hot" fuse when your ignition is on in your fuse box, I ground mine directly to where i mounted them and then ran a wire up to the fuse box, take the fuse out and slip the wire in that spot then put the fuse back in and I have never had a problem doing it that way.
thanks man, that way whenever your in the truck and its running they are on and when you turn if off they go off? regardless of time of day or lights correct?
seems easy enough
Old 03-29-2013, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by ejjones55
thanks man, that way whenever your in the truck and its running they are on and when you turn if off they go off? regardless of time of day or lights correct?
seems easy enough
No problem, Yeah they are off until you turn your truck into the "on" position, then they turn on. But yes it is very easy to do.

I don't know what you mean buy the day time running lights.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wouldn't that kinda defeat the propose of having the led lights...you want them to be able to see the step at night right? So the best way would be to hook them to the dome light, out the dimmer switch for the radio..especially if you have keyless entry, then they come on whenever you hit the unlock button.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Put a switch on mine. No point in them being on in the daytime. Flipping a switch on and off is pretty simple. Also, sometimes at night and based on driving conditions, I might not want them on.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by jmoon4
Wouldn't that kinda defeat the propose of having the led lights...you want them to be able to see the step at night right? So the best way would be to hook them to the dome light, out the dimmer switch for the radio..especially if you have keyless entry, then they come on whenever you hit the unlock button.

If you have them in your foot wells of your truck, it doesn't help you see getting in. Unless they were on the outside.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KC-F150

If you have them in your foot wells of your truck, it doesn't help you see getting in. Unless they were on the outside.
Didn't realize it was going on the inside...I'd still tap it into the dome light.

Quick Reply: LED strip in footwells...wiring question