Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2004 - 2008 Ford F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default LED Reverse Lights

I want to change my reverse lights to 6k LEDs so they match the rest of my truck. I don't wont to change the brake lights, just the two reverse lights and the reverse light in the 3rd brake light. Does anyone know what the bulb size is? Also any reviews on how well yours fit, and where you ordered from are appreciated.

I know LED brake lights mess up the cruise control but will just changing the reverse lights do it also?
tdg0830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Woodlands, Tx
Posts: 1,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdg0830 View Post
I want to change my reverse lights to 6k LEDs so they match the rest of my truck. I don't wont to change the brake lights, just the two reverse lights and the reverse light in the 3rd brake light. Does anyone know what the bulb size is? Also any reviews on how well yours fit, and where you ordered from are appreciated.

I know LED brake lights mess up the cruise control but will just changing the reverse lights do it also?

LED brake lights mess up the cruise control IF there isn't a resistor used. Most high end units (HELLA, etc) have them built in. Some eBay units might, but "you get what you pay for".
VanoFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Can I just replace the one bulb in the third brake light w/o messing anything up?
tdg0830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Woodlands, Tx
Posts: 1,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdg0830 View Post
Can I just replace the one bulb in the third brake light w/o messing anything up?
If you can find the bulb size, I think you can. I assume, when you say LED, you mean HID (High Intensity Discharge) and not LED (Light Emitting Diode). W/ HID, no resistor is needed. I would recommend going w/ a 35w kit opposed to the 55w just because of the small space its going into; this would prevent any melting of plastic from light being too "hot". But again, first find what the bulb type is in the 3rd brake light, and then see if you can find an HID kit that has that bulb type.
VanoFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
Palmetto Pride
 
Moody Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,977
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 169 Times in 134 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanoFord View Post
If you can find the bulb size, I think you can. I assume, when you say LED, you mean HID (High Intensity Discharge) and not LED (Light Emitting Diode). W/ HID, no resistor is needed. I would recommend going w/ a 35w kit opposed to the 55w just because of the small space its going into; this would prevent any melting of plastic from light being too "hot". But again, first find what the bulb type is in the 3rd brake light, and then see if you can find an HID kit that has that bulb type.
I think this is more of what he is looking for

http://www.realtruck.com/putco-pure-...2053P1C1T.html
__________________
Moody Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:57 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Woodlands, Tx
Posts: 1,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bulge View Post
I think this is more of what he is looking for

http://www.realtruck.com/putco-pure-...2053P1C1T.html

DUH! lol, man did I have a brain fart. I mean, I just replaced my map lights w/ led's too. lol. Sorry, had too much beef at lunch and the blood has left my brain to help the stomach w/ digestion.
VanoFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
Moderator
5 Year Member
 
Bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Orlando, Florida and Dallas, Texas
Posts: 6,631
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanked 77 Times in 58 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanoFord View Post
DUH! lol, man did I have a brain fart. I mean, I just replaced my map lights w/ led's too. lol. Sorry, had too much beef at lunch and the blood has left my brain to help the stomach w/ digestion.
Whew! You scared me for a moment.

Yes, just the reverse lights can be changed to LED's, and NO, they will not effect the cruise, as the reverse lights are not part of the brake circuit (which the cruise is tied into).

The reverse lamps have a part number of: 3156LL

You can use that to cross reference it to an LED replacement on the sites that sell LED bulbs.

Here's a list of all bulbs used in our trucks:

1) Headlight hi/low beam: H13 (9008) or H13ST or H13XV
2) Parking: 3157NALL (Long Life)
3) Rear turn/parking/brake: 3157LL (Long Life)
4) Hight mount (cab) brake: 921 or 921LL (Long Life)
5) Fog Driving: 9145 or 9145ST (Silver Star High Performance)
6) Map: 906
7) Dome: 578
8) Cargo/Bed: 921 or 921LL (Long Life)
9) Front Side Marker: 194 or 194LL (Long Life)
10) Backup: 3156LL (Long Life)
__________________
Give an answer, they learn for the day; suggest a search, they learn for a lifetime.

2005 F150 STX Regular Cab (4.2 liter V6)

Last edited by Bucko; 09-23-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:25 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Thanks Bucko and Blue Bulge.
tdg0830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:28 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Before I pull the trigger on this, Is there any reason this light wouldn't work for my back up light?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3156-...Q5fAccessories
tdg0830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:57 PM   #10
Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdg0830 View Post
I want to change my reverse lights to 6k LEDs so they match the rest of my truck. I don't wont to change the brake lights, just the two reverse lights and the reverse light in the 3rd brake light. Does anyone know what the bulb size is? Also any reviews on how well yours fit, and where you ordered from are appreciated.

I know LED brake lights mess up the cruise control but will just changing the reverse lights do it also?
There is NO reverse light in the 3rd brake light
sam1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:57 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reverse lights Bigtex150 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 13 01-22-2014 09:49 PM
reverse lights kian85 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 1 09-05-2010 09:36 AM
Need help with reverse lights needahandle Maintenance Shop 0 01-17-2010 02:04 AM
reverse lights 4X4METAL 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 9 10-18-2009 03:39 PM
Reverse lights SFCFX4 2009 - Present Ford F150 16 09-29-2009 05:38 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:35 PM.


Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.