Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

LED Interior Lighting Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 05:15 AM

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Default LED Interior Lighting Upgrade

Many of you have upgraded the interior lights with LEDs, so I just thought I would post mine as well. However, a lot of people have been considering it but have never been able to compare it to halogens. Here is my comparison.

This pic shows how bright the LEDs are in the front map lights. These are so bright you probably wouldn't need puddle lamps under your nerf bars or side-view mirrors. The bulb type is 194.
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/...s/DSC00265.jpg

The front map lights with LEDs are so bright that they even light up the back of the cabin. I can practically only use these front map lights to light up the interior if I wanted to.
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/...s/DSC00266.jpg

Using the dimmer switch I was manually able to turn on the rear dome light. Now you can compare the bright white LEDs to the regulr haloge bulbs. The rear dome light is a 42mm festoon rigid loop bulb. I have a replacement coming soon so I may post pics of it when it comes in.
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/...s/DSC00267.jpg

The LEDs that I choose always use SMDs. The front map lights were high-power 5 SMD 5050 LEDs.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:09 PM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Where are you getting all of your LED's from?
Old 06-17-2012, 01:35 PM

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

I purchase all of my LEDs from several local suppliers. I use GBL and Autolis for all of my LED upgrades. I have a business account with them so I can not mention the pricing. Keep in mind that not all LED technology is the same. The best technology to date is Cree LED. Also, if you want an LED that spreads the light out instead of focusing it then you need something with a diffuser lens. Side-shining LEDs also help, depending on the application and your intended purpose. Also, look for LEDs that are SMD or surface mounted device. They offer better packaging and generally better light output. There are three sizes of SMDs, 3030, 3528 and 5050. The higher the number the larger the LED. Go with 5050 and skip everything else. Also, some LEDs can be used with reverse polarity so it doesn't matter how you plug them in, they will always work. Finally, one thing you must look into is how some LED bulbs have built in resistors as well as CAN-Bus compatibility. These options add cost to the bulb but they do not require any aftermarket electronics to be compatible with your vehicle. They are plug and play and will not interfere with anything else. Pretty much a straight up replacement to your halogen bulbs.

Also, all of my home lighting has been upgraded to CFLs and LEDs. The CFLs are have a colour temperature of 6000K and range from 13W to 26W which is equivalent to roughly 60W to 100W in light output. The light distribution is far more even and spread out further than household LED bulbs. My household LED bulbs use SMD technology with a diffuser lens which spreads the light more even rather than focusing the beams in a directional pattern. They range from 1.5W to 12W and have the same light output as a 40W to 60W incandescent bulb. In the past few months there have been some LED bulbs that produce a light output equivalent to 100W, but I probably won't go that route anytime soon. All the bulbs in my home have been replaced and they will last many years to come so there is no need to upgrade any further. All of the lighting in my home, interior and exterior are all very bright and very white. No dull yellow. Some people may have difficulty getting used to it since they are used to yellow lights but it catches on. Even my neighbours ask about my lighting. Some people complain that they get headaches and such but those are just old timers who can't grasp newer technology.

Quick Reply: LED Interior Lighting Upgrade