Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

LED bulbs, now now dash is dim til I hit the brake

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 07:18 PM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Default LED bulbs, now now dash is dim til I hit the brake

So I had amber 3157 bulbs in the front for a while, decided to get 3157 bulbs for the rear. The LED blinker module flashes them fine, but now the dash dim's until I brake or the turn signals are activated. Running lights also appear a bit brighter while the turn signal is on.

Perhaps I should install a resistor?

Anyone else experience this?

Here are the bulbs, they are very bright and have good reviews
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G6R668U
https://www.amazon.com/LUYED-Extreme.../dp/B01G6QY3F4
Old 09-23-2016, 09:01 PM

Received 3,012 Likes on 1,670 Posts

What brand is the flasher unit? It's an Ep-27, right? I take it this issue started when you added the leds?

I have LEDs in every single part of my truck and have never experienced this with high end bulbs. Not sure how, but it could be your bulbs. $20 for a set is really cheap so I can guess the quality isn't perfect.

You shouldn't need resistors on the flashers when you change the flasher unit. This only time I expected weird issues was when I used cheap no name eBay bulbs from China.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:26 AM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008__XL
What brand is the flasher unit? It's an Ep-27, right? I take it this issue started when you added the leds?
$20 for a set is really cheap so I can guess the quality isn't perfect.

This only time I expected weird issues was when I used cheap no name eBay bulbs from China.
I have a ep-27 for "LED use", worked fine until I installed the new rear LED 3157 bulbs (I already had front ones), $20 seems to be an average price for a pair, and the ones I got had good reviews.

In any case, after posting this thread I noticed a slight burning smell coming from the headlight switch. Replaced the rear LED's with standard incandescent bulbs and a new headlight switch, all is good now, and the new switch is nice and smooth. Until searching for a new switch I didn’t realize the whole plastic piece gets replaced too, OEM was $70, thought that was pretty reasonable.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: LED bulbs, now now dash is dim til I hit the brake