Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

LED Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LED Bulbs

Hey guys, I just searched and didn't find a thread for this yet. But I was thinking of swapping out the bulbs in my both the rear and third brake light for some LED bulbs. Does anyone know if this is something that is possible? I think that it will be a easy way to help make my truck stick out at a reasonable price.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's definately possible. While I have not done the LED thing, many members in here have. From what I have read you will need resistors for each bulb otherwise your cruise control will not work and you will get the fast blink. This is a common issue with many vehicles. This is because they draw such a low current that your vehicle thinks that the bulb is burnt out. Most websites that sell the LED's also have the resistors. I have also seen resistors at the auto stores like Advanced Auto.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ugh, this sounds like it isn't going to be as easy as I thought. I originally wanted to just do the third brake light. Maybe just the cargo light now? I knew about the resistors, but just read about the cruise control issue.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by csx5197
ugh, this sounds like it isn't going to be as easy as I thought. I originally wanted to just do the third brake light. Maybe just the cargo light now? I knew about the resistors, but just read about the cruise control issue.
It has been discussed before.....do not install LED BULBS in the rear tail lense assemblies; your cruise will not work.

Most LED taillight assemblies are equipped with a load resister circuit in their assemblies.

Personally, I would not install load resisters in my current factory wiring to use LED bulbs, as these resisters can get warm (or even hot if you use the wrong wattage resistor), and then they'd have to be removed to use a conventional filiment bulb if the LED bulb fails.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

u could always just get led tail lights that replaces the liht for liek 115 bucks and they look sweet and 20 bucks for a 3rd brake light
Old 01-06-2010, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just ordered some leds for the maps, dome, license, and cargo lights. Got all of them for under $45. Haven't got them in yet. Hopefully get pics up soon. Anyways i tried to take off the third brake light and the guy before me must have noticed the back window leaking and tried to silicone it but ended up gluing it shut. Anyone with similar situations.

Just trying to help before you buy them. Make sure your third brake light comes off.

Quick Reply: LED Bulbs