Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Leaf spring bushings replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 06:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Leaf spring bushings replacement

2005 FX4.

I made a couple different threads regarding rear end shaking, and one about Moog bushing, but I have a more general question now as I'm about to replace my leaf spring bushings and the shackle tomorrow.

Anyone else have done this job yet?

I am used to bushings that have an outer metal sleeve that usually gets cut and air hammered out. These don't have the outer metal sleeve and they also have a raised lip of rubber bigger than the leaf spring hole on both sides. I assume the lip will fold down while putting it back in, but this isn't something I'm used to.

Also, I think the FSM said not to use any grease at all (I'll re-read that tonight to make sure) and thought that was odd - might make it a lot harder to get in without a press (I'm going to make one from threaded rod, etc) - I could use something else that will evaporate but I'm used to using grease or have at least read most people do. Also, the FSM has the front bushing bolt torqued to 222lbs, other places online I read it was only around 100, the bolt size looks like it would take/be 222lbs so I'll go with that, unless someone knows different?

Anyway, does anyone have any experience with these leaf spring bushings or any other thoughts or advice before I start tearing it down tomorrow?

Edit: Disregard grease question. FSM has this in it only: "CAUTION: Do not lubricate the stabilizer bar bushings for any reason"

Last edited by dukedave5200; 09-05-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:23 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

I would think you'll have to use some kind of lube on the spring eye bushings to get them in. A thin film of dielectric silicone might be a good choice. I always worry about greases and oils on rubber for fear of degradation.
Just thinking out loud here, as I've never done this before. Those spring eye bushings with the raised outer rim aren't two-piece units are they (split in the middle) ? Probably not as that would make too much sense.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:27 AM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

How did it go?
Old 09-07-2014, 08:52 AM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

dish soap.... any petroleum based product will attack the rubber.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I needed to order additional parts so haven't gotten it back together yet. The tear down was pretty uneventful so far. Had to lower the tank to get the driver side front leaf spring bushing bolt out. That bolt was on very tight, air hammer wouldn't budge it so had to use my breaker bar and lots of muscle. I still don't have the old bushings out yet - want to make sure I have all the right parts before I do that just in case. But my plan is to drill them out.

Parts should be here tomorrow but may not be able to finish until the weekend, but I'll reply again once done.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

duke:
Just wondering how this went for you. After 230k miles my truck has acquired a vibration in the rear. I did just replace the rear shocks, finally. Not sure why I didn't do them last year when I did the fronts. I bought some new Moog bushings and also the sway bar bushings. I had a question on the rear of the leaf spring though. is there 2 bushings for both the leaf and the shackle? I only ordered 1 rear but will order some other parts and just wanted to make sure.

Quick Reply: Leaf spring bushings replacement