Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

LCD Display: Bulb Burnt Out. LED Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 08:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default LCD Display: Bulb Burnt Out. LED Replacement?

Hello all. The bulb behind my LCD display has burnt out--making it impossible to see at night. If I want to replace the bulb, is it the 74 bulb that will fit behind the LCD display? If I put in a white LED bulb will it still be able to dim at night?

Thanks for your time!
Old 01-20-2017, 02:47 PM

Received 3,011 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Originally Posted by DesertRoads
Hello all. The bulb behind my LCD display has burnt out--making it impossible to see at night. If I want to replace the bulb, is it the 74 bulb that will fit behind the LCD display? If I put in a white LED bulb will it still be able to dim at night?

Thanks for your time!
Yes. I have LEDs in every part of my cluster that was replaceable (all accept warnings).

If you use a 6000k white led, the odometer will show more of a true green rather than a yellow ish green.

I don't remember the exact led I used, but I had to experiment with a few. Some will be blindingly bright, some will be dim and have dead spots.

I do know the ones that worked for me have 2 side facing and 1 forward facing chip for the odometer, high beam and turn signals, and the cluster back light LEDs I used have 3 forward facing LEDs. You want brighter LEDs for the backlights.

I ended up going with warm white LEDs as I didn't care for the true green color.
The following users liked this post:
DesertRoads (01-20-2017)