Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Lash adjusters and followers

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lash adjusters and followers

I have a question about replacing the lash adjusters and roller followers while doing my timing components in my 2004 5.4. Is it just as easy as unboltING the cams, pulling the old ones out and placing the new ones in? I can't really find any information on it. Also to my understanding, only the 2004 5.4 3v has a different part number for lash adjusters and followers. Is this correct? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-24-2016, 10:38 AM

Received 271 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Lap99xlt
I have a question about replacing the lash adjusters and roller followers while doing my timing components in my 2004 5.4. Is it just as easy as unboltING the cams, pulling the old ones out and placing the new ones in? I can't really find any information on it. Also to my understanding, only the 2004 5.4 3v has a different part number for lash adjusters and followers. Is this correct? Thanks in advance!
Just pull the cams and drop in place after marking your cams for correct reinstallation and letting the new ones sit in some clean oil and kinda pumping them up to bleed them.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by vintageman
Just pull the cams and drop in place after marking your cams for correct reinstallation and letting the new ones sit in some clean oil and kinda pumping them up to bleed them.
Thanks vintageman. I kind of figured it would be that easy but we know how that can go. I do recall you saying in previous posts that you have replaced yours. So do you just mark the cam position in relation to the cam caps? That seems pretty simple.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:15 PM

Received 271 Likes on 218 Posts

Yea, I marked the cam with some paint markers (actually some of my wife's nail polish) on the cam caps and a line on the cam to make sure everything was lined up right. I put my new lash adjusters in a bowl of oil and held them under and kinda pushed on the top portion that feels spring loaded until they were firm, I knew at that point all the air was expelled and they were full of fresh oil. Not a bit of noise since. Good luck.
Tom
Old 03-24-2016, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by vintageman
Yea, I marked the cam with some paint markers (actually some of my wife's nail polish) on the cam caps and a line on the cam to make sure everything was lined up right. I put my new lash adjusters in a bowl of oil and held them under and kinda pushed on the top portion that feels spring loaded until they were firm, I knew at that point all the air was expelled and they were full of fresh oil. Not a bit of noise since. Good luck.
Tom
Thanks you I really appreciate it. I am off work in 3 day intervals. (I actually work at the Ford louisville assembly plant where we build ford escapes and Lincoln mkc) it seems to be a doable job in 3 days. Only two hard tasks seem to be passenger side valve cover and power steering pump

Quick Reply: Lash adjusters and followers