Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Knocking under my floorboards

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 11:10 AM
I Love My Ford

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Knocking under my floorboards

This morning I got into my truck to go to work and when I pulled out of my driveway I noticed there was a knocking noise that I can feel right under my feet. Immediately I turned down the radio I rolled my window down and rode all the way to work like that (I only live 2 miles from work). It seemed like every time I hit a bump it would do this. From the sound and the way it feels under my feet it feels like a piece of metal that is bolted on one side and came loose or something on the other side. So every time I hit a bump the unbolted side is bouncing up and down and hitting something else.

Once I got to work I climbed under the truck and didn't see or feel anything that seemed out of place but then again I would only consider myself a "backyard mechanic" at best.

If I can I plan on taking the truck in today or defiantly by tomorrow but I would like to know if one of you guys possible had this problem before and give me a heads up on what to expect.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:28 AM

Received 150 Likes on 117 Posts

Ball joint or a tie rod.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

If it's directly under the floorboard area of the cab, check the exhaust shields to see if they are loose. After a few years, the rivets/clamps holding them in place may have broken loose. Wait for the truck to have cooled down; those shields can get hot. Crawl underneath this weekend and check the exhaust system for any loose or broken hangers or shields. Grap ahold and give it a good push/pull. All should be snug.

As the other poster points out, it could be in the front suspension as well.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:46 PM
I Love My Ford

Well we will find out here soon enough, I just took it over to the mechanic and he said that he would pull it into the shop in about 10 minutes so I should know soon. Luckily the guy that owns the shop is my brother-in-laws best friend so hopefully he doesn't hit me to hard on the bill. I'll let ya know what the outcome is when I find out.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:07 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

I have a similar sound. Mine is like a clunking that seems to be caused when the front tires go over small bumps. I believe it's a suspension issue but I have not been able to isolate and of course the fact that it only happens while driving doesn't help any. If your mechanic figures you problem out please keep us posted.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would check the sway bar bushings. If it sounds like it's coming more from below your feet than at the tire, then look what's below your feet. Try prying on the sway bar. Any movement is abnormal.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:22 PM
I Love My Ford

Well I just picked it up from the shop and the guy told me that he took it for a ride and heard and felt exactly what I was talking about.

The first question he asked was if I had done any 4wheeling lately. My answer was no because I had just bought the truck not to long ago after some idiot decided to rear end me and total my old one.

The second question he asked was when did I first notice the noise. My answer to this was this morning when I left to go to work. I told him that I hit a pretty big pot hole on my home last night and that I thought hitting that might have been the cause of the problem.

So after the anticipation of him asking me all these question I really just wanted him to tell me what the heck was wrong with my truck. He said when it lifted it up and looked at everything it all looked tight and nothing was broke so he was just as confused as to why it was making the noise.

Turns out.... I guess the guy that had the truck before like to go 4wheeling because he said he took the skid plate off and it was packed full of rock and stuff and that he was guessing that when I hit that pot hole it jarred it loose and thus started making the noises.

After all of that I asked him what it was going to cost me it was on the house. Can't beat that!
Old 03-14-2012, 03:24 PM
DIY

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

hahaha good one!

Quick Reply: Knocking under my floorboards