Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Knocking Knoise Knowledge Kneeded

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Knocking Knoise Knowledge Kneeded

I have a knocking noise. Apparently I am a member of a very large club. I read a lot about knocking noises here, but I can't find one post where knocking noises are compared and contrasted. I started this thread in the hope of concentrating knock knowledge in one place. not cures, but diagnosis: which of the many knocks is my particular knock?

I know it's not phaser knock, thanks to this youtube video. the phaser knocking noise is heard about 4 minutes in:

Questions about phaser knock: is it destructive or just annoying? is it tolerable around town but terrifying on the freeway? is it an indicator of "do not tow until fixed?"

My knock goes like this: No knock until it started getting warm. Towed a car hauler 150 miles. Heard the knock when I pulled into a parking lot after 75 miles. sounds and feels like a cylinder missing. shut engine off, do things, come back, no knock until I get back home. knock shows up when I back up, gets worse when I turn right backing up. does not come back on restart. engine idles rough when I stop because people are too dense to comprehend "right lane closed ahead" means that the lane on the right is closed farther up the road and they should merge left before the vast blinking orange light sign with arrows pointing left, but it smooths out if you give it gas.

I intend to replace the coil packs and fuel pump driver module because many people have these problems at 120,000 and I'm at 117,000

If anyone has a video of coil pack failure noise or fuel pump driver module failure noise to aid others in diagnosis please post them on youtube, and a link here.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any codes? and is the noise from the front of the engine or the back of the engine?

Quick Reply: Knocking Knoise Knowledge Kneeded