Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Key pad and spare PATS key help

Old 02-10-2008, 04:55 PM
MSchneid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key pad and spare PATS key help

I just bought an '05 FX4 because my '06 lease is up. It only came with one key... that's it. I am getting remote fobs and spare key. I have two questions.
1) With only one key can I program a second key or do I have to take this to the dealer?
2) I do not haave the original code for the door key pad, can I program this or do I have to take it to the dealer?
Old 02-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you can program the second key with the first one, the proces should be in the owners manual.

I think someone said that the key pad code is located on the body controll module? (any truth to this?)

or you could go to your local ford dealer and ask them if they can find it for ya.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:38 PM
MSchneid

Thanks for the input. I am reading my owners manual and it says you have to have two programmed keys in order to program a spare (so I will have to go to the dealer for this). It also says that the 5 digit key pad code is "marked on the computer module", assuming this is the computer module under the hood neither of my trucks have a 5 digit # anywhere. Is there a different computer module? I popped out the glove box to see if there was anything behind it but there is nothing.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:10 PM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes you need two keys. If you bought it from a dealer I would go see the person that sold you the truck. The dealer charges a lot to make and program a key.

You can also ask them about the code.

If you have no luck, buy a couple key blanks off ebay (around 10 each) and go to your local locksmith. They should be able to cut them and program one for you. Then you can do the rest yourself and save a few dollars.

The code is on the module behind the rear seat.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the keyless code is on the module

unless you have 2 keys, a new master must be initialized by the dealer by hooking up to the computer.

you could always get regular keys made, and tape the PATS key under the dash near the ignition cylinder
Old 02-10-2008, 10:37 PM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Neggy
you could always get regular keys made, and tape the PATS key under the dash near the ignition cylinder

I tried this on mine but the only way I could get it to work is if the PATS was over the bow of the non PATS key. There was no range to do this on mine.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mschneid
I just bought an '05 FX4 because my '06 lease is up. It only came with one key... that's it. I am getting remote fobs and spare key. I have two questions.
1) With only one key can I program a second key or do I have to take this to the dealer?
2) I do not haave the original code for the door key pad, can I program this or do I have to take it to the dealer?
I was JUST in your shoes. Everyone here pretty much answered both your questions. I just wanted to add that you should ask the dealer to lookup your code since they are already programming a new key for you. The computer they use to reprogram the second key could easilly look up the code with a couple button pushes. I actually paid for them to add on 2 more keys ontop of my orignal. That way, if you lose a key, you can just buy another key from the dealership and program the new key YOURSELF. To be on the safe side you should have a total of 3 keys. I paid a total of $205 and some change to get the two keys programed. Pretty much 100 for the two keys and another 100 for what they call "labor." Hope this helps....
Old 02-11-2008, 12:50 AM

I just bought an 05 fx4 with only one key and no unlock code. I had the dealership I bought the truck pay for a second key and after that I had no problems programming a third after that by myself. I did find the unlock code on the security module mounted behind the back seat behind the carpeted plastic on the rear wall on the driver's side (i was there anyways doing my alarm install.)
Old 02-11-2008, 08:49 AM
MSchneid

How hard is it or how do you remove the back seat?
Old 02-11-2008, 09:15 AM

I had the same problem when I bought my 2004 Heritage, they gave me
"1" Key told me "They could get me a second one for $49.00 dollars"
I told the dealer "How about YOU GIVING ME the second Key since the truck Originally came from the factory that way OR you can Keep the TRUCK?"
They gave me the second key for Free.

I do need another Key and Fob, so this helps alot.

Goose

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Key pad and spare PATS key help