Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Key coding first bad experience

Old 06-18-2011, 09:57 AM
Junior (old guy) Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key coding first bad experience

Hi to all,
Just had my first bad experience since buying Big Blue.
I only got one key with the truck and wanted to get a back up made.
Went to the local dealer and he informed me that without two keys I would have to pay them $60.00 to program a new key for me. This on top of a $40.00 key blank.
I can find blanks out on the internet everywhere at reasonalbe price but need to know if I am really stuck having to pay the dealer for the programming.
Does anyone know of a way to bypass this process or at least a less expensive one?
Thanks in advance for any feed back you can offer.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:21 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Either the dealer, or a good locksmith. Once you have two keys, your owners manual states how you can program a third, and so on, but you need two keys to program your own.

Unfortunatly, your stuck. Buy the correct transmitter type blanks off of Ebay (or your source), then have a dealer or locksmith (who has to have the equipment) code it for you.

When I bought my truck used at a Ford used lot, they did one for me for free; I never even had to ask. I guess there are still "good" dealers out there.

I'll assume you did not buy it from a Ford dealership used. They most likely would have made the second key for free.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Junior (old guy) Member

Originally Posted by Bucko
Either the dealer, or a good locksmith. Once you have two keys, your owners manual states how you can program a third, and so on, but you need two keys to program your own.

Unfortunatly, your stuck. Buy the correct transmitter type blanks off of Ebay (or your source), then have a dealer or locksmith (who has to have the equipment) code it for you.

When I bought my truck used at a Ford used lot, they did one for me for free; I never even had to ask. I guess there are still "good" dealers out there.

I'll assume you did not buy it from a Ford dealership used. They most likely would have made the second key for free.
Thanks Bucko I knew I could count on you.
One more thing to ask. I have been told I can get the door button code on a computer module behind the back seat.
Is this correct?
How hard is it to get the seat out? (super cab)
Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using F150 Forum
Old 06-19-2011, 12:25 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004 Big blue
Thanks Bucko I knew I could count on you.
One more thing to ask. I have been told I can get the door button code on a computer module behind the back seat.
Is this correct?
How hard is it to get the seat out? (super cab)
Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using F150 Forum
I read this awhile back on this forum. Supposidley yes, there's a way to get the door code off of the module. I would search this forum for the thread (it is here; I read it a few months back), or visit your local Ford dealer and ask the tech rep. There's a post is here though.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:44 AM
Glen

Yup, I knew those keys were expensive. When I bought mine with one key, I insisted on a second. The salesman said okay. A week later when I went to get the key made, service said it would be $139. I told them the salesman said it would be covered. I had to get the sales guy in to vouch for me. And then later, I heard him getting into trouble for this from the sales manager. Now with two keys, I got a blank off of Ebay for $10 and programmed it myself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Key coding first bad experience