Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Keep, Trade or Sell?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Silverado Slayer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Keep, Trade or Sell?

I've had my F150 for about 5 months now and it already needs alot of work. The body has a healthy scuff in it, the rear brakes need to be totally redone. I've already redone the front brakes and gave it an oil change.

If my math serves me right, I'm going to have about $1400 in it when everything is all said and done. I'm not real happy about this and seriously considering getting rid of the truck.

Given the current economic conditions, I probably won't get enough out of it for the payoff at least, so my plan is to wait a while, save up some money and then go buy something else. It pisses me off too because I had alot of stuff planned for my truck, but now things aren't looking up for it right now.

What should I do? Sell, Keep or Trade?
Old 11-10-2008, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What year is your truck
Old 11-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Silverado Slayer

06, 23K miles
Old 11-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Humoctopus

Brakes as in pads/rotors or brakes as in lines, pads, rotors and calipers (I highly doubt)
Old 11-10-2008, 02:23 PM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Well to be honest, brakes are a normal part of owning any car. Not like the fuel or brake line busted on you while driving and pending if they ever had been changed, aye I could see how they would need it after 23k miles. But then again, it all comes down to what you want, you can sell it and get something else ( make sure to check the brakes :-) but at least to me, seems like a lotta hassle over rear brakes.
Just my 2 cents worth. :-)
Old 11-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Humoctopus

Originally Posted by Sogwap55
Well to be honest, brakes are a normal part of owning any car. Not like the fuel or brake line busted on you while driving and pending if they ever had been changed, aye I could see how they would need it after 23k miles. But then again, it all comes down to what you want, you can sell it and get something else ( make sure to check the brakes :-) but at least to me, seems like a lotta hassle over rear brakes.
Just my 2 cents worth. :-)
That's what I was going to get at. Can hardly get pissed at the vehicle because it has a scuff on the body and needs rear brakes. If it is just simple pad replacement ... get ready for the next vehicle to need the same thing at some point.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

It's impossible to answer your question without more info. When you purchased the truck did you get a better deal because it was in bad shape? Was the scuff there before you bought it? How did the previous owner treat the truck if the break are burned off after only 23,000 miles? What kind of shape are the tires in? This would have been a huge red flag for me before I ever bought. My Dad has a 2001 Harley edition with just over 100,000 miles on it that still has the original roters and rear pads. Front Pads have been replaced once. In fact I've never owned a vehicle that the rear breaks didn't last past 100,000 miles before having to be changed. (4 vehicles total)

What will the $1,400 get you besides breaks? How much more do you owe on the truck?

John
Old 11-10-2008, 02:43 PM

23k on brakes and they need total replacing? I have 188k on my pontiac Grand prix and just replaced the brakes for the first time. I can't imagine using up the brakes in 23k miles. rather than yelping about your truck perhaps you should look at your driving habits.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:54 PM

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by aspenF150
I've had my F150 for about 5 months now and it already needs alot of work. The body has a healthy scuff in it, the rear brakes need to be totally redone. I've already redone the front brakes and gave it an oil change.

If my math serves me right, I'm going to have about $1400 in it when everything is all said and done. I'm not real happy about this and seriously considering getting rid of the truck.

Given the current economic conditions, I probably won't get enough out of it for the payoff at least, so my plan is to wait a while, save up some money and then go buy something else. It pisses me off too because I had alot of stuff planned for my truck, but now things aren't looking up for it right now.

What should I do? Sell, Keep or Trade?
You know I was kind of in the same boat, but for a better reason. My 04 FX4 has 68,000 miles on it. The thing that was scaring me was the spark plug issues eventually going to cost me a lot of money in the near future, and also the ticking noise that comes from the cam phasers which is an expensive fix. BUT what I convinced myself was that you are only going to lose money on the deal if u try to trade in the truck for a new(er) one and are the issues really worth getting rid of the truck? I love my F150, but the plug issue, and the ticking caused by the phasers really had me contemplating getting rid of it. But I have come to the conclusion that those issues aren't going to scare me away from the truck, I owe it to myself financially to just fix any issues that may arise as opposed to losing thousands upon thousands that would come with trading for another truck. I guess Im going to just get the plug issue taken care of when it arises and I am not going to worry about the ticking issue until I need to either, I hate that Ford has put the financial reponsibility on us consumers on those issues but what can u do. I say just ride it out with your truck if the issues are only minor your pocketbook will thank you later on. trading a new truck for another truck just costs more money than you will put into your truck to fix it.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Silverado Slayer

A little background about my truck. The previous owner was a contractor and he leased the truck brand new for 2 years. During those 2 years he pretty just drove it. Don't think he ever washed it not to mention wax as the paint still has some oxidation that needs to be polished out.

He was a 2 footed driver as I found, rode his brakes hence why I needed to do all 4. I couldn't make a deal with dealership to do it because I already stretched the deal thin as they were willing to go. But that's another story.

I've so far put 4500 miles on the truck. Other than the rear rotors and pads being shot, it runs and drives like a new truck. The other big issue is the scuf in the body. Previous owner said a worker backed into his truck. I've gone to several different body shops including other dealerships, it averages out to about $600 worth of work.

So here's my math,

$200 to have the front rotors turned and I put new pads and regreased the bearings.

$250 - for rear brakes if do them myself but not likely.

$600 - for body work

$90 for oil change

So it comes out to about $1100 or so. If I were to trade it in or sell it, I would most likely get a 5spd 2wd Ranger brand new. Some Days I think I made the right move, other days I hate my truck. One thing is for certain, I can't stand car payments. First time having a loan.

Quick Reply: Keep, Trade or Sell?