Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Keep or Trade

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 04:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Keep or Trade

Hey guys. I need a little input. I know you will probably be (a bit) biased.

So here is where I'm at. I have owned my 2005 F150 Reg. Cab FX4 for about 11mos. and so far I have had to put quite a bit of money into it. The reason I got rid of my old car (2004 SVT Focus) was past 100k miles it was a money pit. So far I have had the Spark Plugs Changed, Lifters fixed, 4WD hub replaced, and I still have to do the suspension, new tires, and the biggest exhaust manifold either replacement or gasket replacement. At this point it seems as though its heading in the same direction my previous car was...a money pit. What do you guys think?
Old 05-12-2014, 06:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I say keep it.

So what now, you trade it in or sell it in knowing there is a problem and take a hard hit to get a newer vehicle which could have problems down the road too. I say fix the problems and call it a day.

What it really comes down to is wither or not your going to be happy with your next purchase or repairs you do. Money situation always plays a huge part in what your next move is. Do what you think is best for yourself. All this sh*t is just material items.

With the suspension and tires, it sounds like a pretty good excuse to convince the wife you need bigger and better which is always a plus.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:05 PM
PJB

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I had a few little issues adding up to a decent amount of money and I was going to keep the truck but somehow I ended up at a GMC dealer and came home with a 2011 Sierra on Friday.

I had just gotten a manifold replaced on the F150 the week before. I was starting to have issues with the rear end and a shake in the front I couldn't find and for some reason it was getting 10-12 mpg. Then there was the rust that was going to cost around $3k to fix.

I wanted to keep the F150 for a while since it was paid off but it seemed like I was going to be putting a decent amount of money into it in the near future and I wasn't sure about dumping a few grand into an 8 year old truck with 134k.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:53 PM

Yeah I still owe on the Truck. If I did get rid of it I figure I would have to trade it in as I do not have any other collateral.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:35 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

I say go with your gut. As much as I love my truck and as well as it's treated me for almost 200k miles with no issues other than exhaust manifold I consider myself lucky. I also see a lot of people having problem after problem and I can't say that I don't blame you for wanting to trade it in. Just keep in mind that trading is a roll of the dice, you might get lucky and get a trouble free vehicle or you might get another money pit. Tough decision I know, good luck!
Old 05-12-2014, 07:49 PM
PJB

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I went with a GM certified used truck so that adds a bit more to the warranty and the dealer gave me a lifetime powertrain warranty that's good as long as I take it there for oil changes and tranny flushes. They also gave me lifetime car washes and 2 years of free oil changes and tire rotations.

Its only 3 years old with 38k so I don't see it having any issues in the near future.

I sure didn't plan on getting a GMC, it just happened. I loved my F150 but it was apparently time to move on after 5 good years with it.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,124 Likes on 2,830 Posts

new truck
Old 05-12-2014, 09:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How many miles are on it ? ... Suspension and tires are gonna need replaced on any vehicle at times. Being that the plugs and lifters are done I would keep it and be willing to put money into for normal maintenance . Unless you are able and want to have a payment on something new. You may or may not have to put money into a older vehicle... but you know for sure your gonna have that high payment every month with a new vehicle .
Old 05-12-2014, 09:29 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

Get an 11 or newer and you will love it. Don't go gm until you drive a new ford because there will be no comparison.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by cleveland lotlizards
How many miles are on it ? ... Suspension and tires are gonna need replaced on any vehicle at times. Being that the plugs and lifters are done I would keep it and be willing to put money into for normal maintenance . Unless you are able and want to have a payment on something new. You may or may not have to put money into a older vehicle... but you know for sure your gonna have that high payment every month with a new vehicle .
93k miles on it

Quick Reply: Keep or Trade