Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

To keep or Sell

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 09:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default To keep or Sell

I have had my 2006 fx4 crew cab for 3 years now and I love it. It has just over 163K on it now and it just started to tick in the last couple months. I know all about the cam phasers issues and vct solenoids. I am gonna try to sea foam this weekend but i just don't know if i should sell it now or keep it. The truck is clean but also getting up there in miles. What does everyone think?
Old 08-18-2015, 11:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$35,000 to buy a new truck.

That covers a lot of repairs.

I think simple. :-)
Old 08-18-2015, 01:18 PM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

I have the same year with similar mileage on it. Mines been ticking/knocking/sounding like a diesel for the last 6 years I have had it. It hasn't really gotten any worse so I am not overly worried about that.

However, my truck burns a ton of oil (just checked after 1,000 KM and the dipstick didn't even read a drop). That scares me. I also need new tires. There are multiple noises and clicks coming from suspension or body. The transmission on my pops and friends F150 went around my mileage so that scares me as well.

I'm going to be trading mine in. It will be more piece of mind for me than worrying about all the issues that need to be fixed on my truck. Tranny ($2,500?), tires ($1,400), timing/phases ($2,000), misc. noises? Plus a new truck won't sound like a 5.4L diesel motor haha
Old 08-18-2015, 05:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe you can spend money into "bringing life" back into your truck to make it feel newer and save you the money that comes with a newer truck. Update your sound system, suspension, wheels/tires, adding leather seats (if you don't have it), sunroof, or even changing the color of your truck! you can also fix those issues and it will run strong. Every few years or so every car/truck needs a few updates to make it less "routine", you know? At the end of the day, is your hard earned cash so you will know what's best for you. I just know is not fun to own your vehicle and go on a loan for the next 3-5 years haha
Old 08-18-2015, 06:33 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Since your truck is still running strong I think you could get a lot more miles out of it, but it depends on what you want. For me, I like taking care of my 06 more then I would like owning a new truck. That probably sounds weird to most people, but that's just me. Now if my truck was having issue after issue I might feel differently, but it's run perfect for me since new and I'm planning on keeping it that way.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:33 AM

I really do love the truck, its loaded with all the options. The past winter really rotted out my cab corner and rocker though. I'm just split 50/50 on keep putting money in or not because i do not like the way the motor ticks now but i also don't want a crazy payment after just finishing college.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:41 AM
Some guy

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,281 Posts

I'd say just get in there and do the timing equipment and get it over with. And the lifters / rockers. As long as your plugs are all torqued down properly and your exhaust manifolds are okay your noises will probably go away. Agreed on not wanting more debt out of college.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:52 AM

I am not sure if the phasers are something i would attempt. I do all the work to my truck but am not sure if i am comfortable with that. Also, I feel even if i fix the cab corners they will always come back. I do enjoy doing small mods and i admit i am partially bored lol
Old 08-19-2015, 09:57 AM
Some guy

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,281 Posts

I'm willing to bet you have all the tools for it, though... vice grips and a good wrench and socket set and you're good. I know it seems daunting as hell, it really does, but it's not hard... just a bunch of small steps (remove bolt, replace part, replace bolt)

Quick Reply: To keep or Sell