Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Keep getting random cylinder misfires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep getting random cylinder misfires?

Hello all, recently bought a 05 5.4 will numerous recent repairs. It ran perfectly for the first 2/3 months then had a cylinder 4 misfire. Doing some minor research decided to change all spark plugs, coils, swapped to cold air intake and fuel filter and oil change. Cleared all the codes and running even better. A week later had a cylinder 7 misfire. Replaced the coil and back in business again. This week I had a cam shaft sensor and tonight again a cylinder 4 misfire. I guess my question is, why do I keep going through coils? One other note the old coil were 4 different brands which leads me to think it's a continued problem. Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 12-29-2016, 09:38 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

What brand coils are you using? Did you use dielectric grease to seal out moisture?

Also for FYI, your stock intake is cold air design. You could have saved that money towards other addons.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:02 AM

Default Missfire

I wish I could help. I have been dealing with this for a couple years now. Had all plugs and coils replaced. I have been to three different mechanics and a transmission shop. Seems the engine mechanics believes it to be a torque converter problem and the tranny mechanic says it is the engine missing. I am researching this forum to see if I can get to the bottom of it.
My seems to miss the most consistently 45-50 miles an hour. I hope you have greater success. I too have replace multiple plugs and coils even after the full replacement.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:47 PM

No name coils, eBay specials, greased up and such. Hindsight glad I didn't spring for the high end until I figure out the cause. Can't get a solid answer on the cause either. Rebuilt tranny, cams and timing done, plugs and coils, fuel filter, o2 sensors and cam shaft sensor tomorrow. It runs like a champ then blind sided, I was seeing the same at 45-50mph until this last time never exceeded 25mph. I've also noticed a strong gas smell in the past month not consistent comes and goes?? Thank you for the responses. I did swap the coil with an old one and running great again? Don't get it! If someone has experienced progress with top
brand coils I would invest just can't swallow $60 a pop since two have already gone in less then 2 months. Thanks again
Old 12-30-2016, 09:54 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

Im going to suggest you have a bad plug. The gas smell is gas not firing in one of the cylinders which will toast a cat converter eventually. See that every so often on here. Usually cracked during the install and won't give problems off immediately.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:54 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default Gas smell is often caused by loose plug

Torque with wrench 25 -28 pounds . If you find some loose ones you may have to clean sparkplugs and replace those boots as blow by ruins boots .
Old 03-29-2017, 10:21 PM

Check your compression