Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

K&n vs. airaid

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&n vs. airaid

i know this gets old but my grandpa has a 07 fx2 and he is wanting a CAI. i have a k&n fipk on my 2000 and love it and thats what i recommended to him but he recently read Troyers page about the AF1 and airaid. and he is now concerned about the truck running lean with K&N. i have told him what yall think of the AF1 since alot of yall have it but he doesnt want that one b/c 1 its crome and 2 its too much $. so he is leaning towards airaid b/c of the more hp it claims, better look, price tag, and that it will not make the truck run lean compared to k&N. i have heard good things about them but i have heard more about k&n. b/c of that he is now on the fence.

i will like to hear just a few pros/cons, recommendations/complaints or whatever so i can relay the message cause he keeps asking me stuff about them and he wants to order one soon. thanks alot guys!
Old 08-03-2008, 07:48 PM
BAMF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the K&N FIPK on my 93' about a month ago and i have absolutely nothing bad to say about it. I could afford it, i bolted right up, it shipped quick and wasn't missing any parts, i can really feel the difference it made driving, It looks alot cleaner under the hood rather than the oversized stock intake, And plus it sounds a lot better. It''s been nothing but good to me.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by theville89
i know this gets old but my grandpa has a 07 fx2 and he is wanting a CAI. i have a k&n fipk on my 2000 and love it and thats what i recommended to him but he recently read Troyers page about the AF1 and airaid. and he is now concerned about the truck running lean with K&N. i have told him what yall think of the AF1 since alot of yall have it but he doesnt want that one b/c 1 its crome and 2 its too much $. so he is leaning towards airaid b/c of the more hp it claims, better look, price tag, and that it will not make the truck run lean compared to k&N. i have heard good things about them but i have heard more about k&n. b/c of that he is now on the fence.

i will like to hear just a few pros/cons, recommendations/complaints or whatever so i can relay the message cause he keeps asking me stuff about them and he wants to order one soon. thanks alot guys!
https://www.f150forum.com/f7/cold-air-intake-9159/
Everyone breaks it down real nice here..
Old 08-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Paint it black

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

honestly all intakes should lean out the truck some as more air is going to change your a/f ratio, there by leaning out the truck and giving you the extra power. these trucks come rich from the dealer floor, and a slight leaning isnt anything to worry about, thats why a 3 inch af1 isnt going to require a tune, but a 3.5 will...however all intakes should be tuned for to provide max performance
Old 08-03-2008, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbetty
honestly all intakes should lean out the truck some as more air is going to change your a/f ratio, there by leaning out the truck and giving you the extra power. these trucks come rich from the dealer floor, and a slight leaning isnt anything to worry about, thats why a 3 inch af1 isnt going to require a tune, but a 3.5 will...however all intakes should be tuned for to provide max performance
that helps explain the lean thing. but when you say all intakes should be tuned what do you mean, are you talking about getting a tuner or what. i dont know anything about tuning. if you can explain to me what your talking about.

thanks
Old 08-04-2008, 12:31 AM
Paint it black

to achive the max performance out of anything you do to your truck, tuning will help, for an intake it may change what the computer sees for certain values in the pcm and may try to compensate by dumping in extra fuel for example or whatever crazy calculations it takes to correct the "extra air"
Old 08-04-2008, 08:27 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

So far every factoy vehicle we have dynoed has never been rich from the factory. It has been lean. They do that for emissions. Since they are lean that is why putting any CAI need a tune. The 3.5 might set a CEL but the 3.0 is just on the verge of setting one.

Trending Topics

Old 08-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Paint it black

im sorry, ngm i was reading on a few other post that people were rich from the factory but im going to take your word over a few random post on the other forum, i didnt realize. what a/f are you seeing stock?
Old 08-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NGM
So far every factoy vehicle we have dynoed has never been rich from the factory. It has been lean. They do that for emissions. Since they are lean that is why putting any CAI need a tune. The 3.5 might set a CEL but the 3.0 is just on the verge of setting one.

When I look up the different CAI's. They dont specify 3 or 3.5. ID AF1 the only one that has thre 3.5??
Old 08-06-2008, 07:30 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

im sorry, ngm i was reading on a few other post that people were rich from the factory but im going to take your word over a few random post on the other forum, i didnt realize. what a/f are you seeing stock?
Mine got as high as 15.1 usually 14.1ish
Originally Posted by SinCityFX4
When I look up the different CAI's. They dont specify 3 or 3.5. ID AF1 the only one that has thre 3.5??
I can't remember which one has a 3 or 3.5 inlet. I think its the AF3, but I could be wrong.

Quick Reply: K&n vs. airaid