Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Just won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just won't start

I have a 2004 f-150 last night while driving the truck just cut off and will not start. I was told I'd need a timing job done in the future but haven't had it done yet. It has a 111,000 miles on it but it won't turn over at all. What could be the issue?
Old 03-09-2014, 01:27 PM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

Check the easy things first. Does your battery have proper voltage? I've had a car where, while driving down the interstate, the battery developed an internal short. It shut the cur off immediately and there was no electrical power.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:53 AM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by VTX1800N1
Check the easy things first. Does your battery have proper voltage? I've had a car where, while driving down the interstate, the battery developed an internal short. It shut the cur off immediately and there was no electrical power.
X2 on what VTX wrote. It's also possible your alternator went (although you should have noticed a light for that) and you finally lost enough power that the COP's couldn't fire the plugs. You didn't mention anything about dash indicators or noise made when attempting to start? Can you give us some more details? But I would start with the basics like VTX stated based on what you've wrote.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:23 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

what do you mean by Turn Over ?? Cranks but will not start ?? will not Crank ?? sounds like another FPDM Corroded in half..
Old 03-10-2014, 09:32 AM

It didn't make any noises it drove fine it just cut off and now it won't crank the emissions symbol popped up on the dash but that is all. We've tried jumping it off. I was told it may have something to do with the timing
Old 03-10-2014, 09:38 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by Rbrooks719
It didn't make any noises it drove fine it just cut off and now it won't crank the emissions symbol popped up on the dash but that is all. We've tried jumping it off. I was told it may have something to do with the timing
Jiggle the wires at the battery and ensure your terminals are good and tight to the posts.. Then try to crank it..

Also check the FPDM for corrosion above the spare tire under the bed..

If both areas are fine, check the connections at the starter and make sure they are clean, free of corrosion and tight...
Old 03-10-2014, 10:07 AM

emissions symbol, you mean check engine light? When you go to crank, you don't hear a "click" (relay inside the cab) or anything...? I'm assuming the dash lights up though? The PATS light on top of the dash, does it flash red?

If the timing was out, I would think you would still hear the starter engage at a minimum. I know with my dad's FPDM his would still crank just not start, but every situation is different. I'm more convinced you have some kind of electrical issue or similar going on rather than anything to do with the timing. Any alarm system installed that you know of (some do cut-off)?
Old 03-10-2014, 02:05 PM

Just came home from work and not it won't crank at all it just clicks when I turn the key.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:14 PM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

Remove your battery and take it to an auto parts store. They will usually test it for free.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:54 PM

I agree with VTX! RBrooks, I'm going to admit your responses are quite confusing (at least to me). At least we know you have a clicking noise so the relay is energizing for starting. Jumping it "should have" started it in that case, but if the battery is shorted or similar then it won't (and you're sure your cables are good? - I have seen them melt before and create issues). I'd take VTX's recommendation, go get the battery tested. Otherwise, do you have a voltmeter? Check the voltage on the battery, check the voltage during attempting to crank. If you don't have 12 volts then you know your battery is dead. If you have 12 volts, still get the battery tested as it may not be able to deliver the amperage needed (thus checking the voltage while someone tries to start).

Quick Reply: Just won't start