Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Just had plugs replaced on my 06 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 05:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Just had plugs replaced on my 06 5.4

Just changed out the plugs. Took it to the dealer and had them changed it so I wasn't stuck with towing my truck to the dealer if a plug broke off... the mechanic (father of my best friend) told me it was a good idea to do the carbon cleanout which he had a special tool/ device whatever you want to call it... and hooked it up to a vacuum hose. Although my first cylinder injector got stuck open so I was wasting gas like crazy

None of my plugs broke off thankfully

OH! and Im now running the 1 piece Champion spark plugs (part number 7989)... ill respond to this later this week and tell you how much I like them. Gotta do more than just 3 hours driving to tell lol
Old 06-24-2009, 06:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hope you don't have issues with it running proper....champion plugs and 5.4's don't seem to like each other, i would have replaced them with motorcraft, but maybe you will have good luck....
Old 06-24-2009, 06:57 PM

Well ive heard some people like them, and I like the 1 piece set up. and if I dont like them, At least I wont have to spend another 300 to replace them. I could do them myself
Old 06-24-2009, 08:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 5.4 is at the FORD dealer as I type....they're replacing the differential under a 3rd party Extended Warranty Company (97,000 miles) and asked about changing the plugs......

WHAT'S UP WITH $308.00 JUST TO CHANGE THE PLUGS????

Why so much?????
Old 06-24-2009, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by bfdtpkt
My 5.4 is at the FORD dealer as I type....they're replacing the differential under a 3rd party Extended Warranty Company (97,000 miles) and asked about changing the plugs......

Why so much?????
it takes time obviously and they quote for a couple broke plugs too....i have heard of them breaking 7 of 8 plugs...so it's a crap shoot when quoting, i have also heard they refuse to give a quote, so be lucky to even get a quote, i had a few guys ask me to do them, i gave them an estimate and said "might be less, might be more, so be prepared"
Old 06-24-2009, 09:30 PM
gooney goo hoo

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jazar10
Just changed out the plugs. Took it to the dealer and had them changed it so I wasn't stuck with towing my truck to the dealer if a plug broke off... the mechanic (father of my best friend) told me it was a good idea to do the carbon cleanout which he had a special tool/ device whatever you want to call it... and hooked it up to a vacuum hose. Although my first cylinder injector got stuck open so I was wasting gas like crazy

None of my plugs broke off thankfully

OH! and Im now running the 1 piece Champion spark plugs (part number 7989)... ill respond to this later this week and tell you how much I like them. Gotta do more than just 3 hours driving to tell lol
Your lucky 7 out of 8 of mine broke off when mine were changed consider your self very lucky
Old 06-24-2009, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by YellowFX4
Your lucky 7 out of 8 of mine broke off when mine were changed consider your self very lucky
did you change them or a shop?
Old 06-24-2009, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya your lucky you got a quote.The stealerships round here wanted 480 to change the plugs and that wasnt includeing if some were to break off.So i said screw it,i ordered my brisk ona piece plugs,and did them myself.

Well the number 7 plug did break off inside the wall.Ya i was pissed as all hell.So the next day i went to the 2 stealerships to ask how much they would charge me to remove the broken one if they could use the rotunda tool,500,and if the tool wouldnt work,ya they said about 3 grand cause they would have to pull the engine they said.

So went to my snap on guy and bought the rotunda tool to remove it and it worked and saved myself a couple hundred bucks..Plugs were total of 160,and the tool itself was 94 or around their somewhere.I always tell everyone to get the tool if their going to change their own plugs,just might come in handy
Old 06-25-2009, 06:49 AM

Why so much?????
The first time I asked a dealership to quote me on changing my plugs, the starting price was at $800 not including parts
Old 06-25-2009, 07:05 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Why so much?????
I'm thinking that's a quote IF they don't break one (or more)....others have posted here that the dealer will call and increase the charge when they break one or more off.

Better ask if that's a firm price, and if it includes the cost of a broken plug or two. There's certainly more labor involved to remove the broken plugs, and from what I've read, the dealers charge more labor time when this happens.

If you're blown away over a $308.00 charge for changing plugs when they don't break off, be sure to be lying down when they qoute you the price for the removal of broken ones!

Quick Reply: Just had plugs replaced on my 06 5.4