Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Just got myself a 2006 F150 - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got myself a 2006 F150 - Questions

Hi:

I just purchased a 2006 F150 4x4 Lariat trim and I have a few questions. First, here is a photo:

Bought from a dealer in Tucson (it's an Arizona trick, so no rust!), 98000 miles, then drove it back home to California (San Francisco Bay Area this week-end - 900 miles).

Now, for the questions:

Keys - It came with only one key / one remote. After doing some research, it looks like getting and programming additional remotes won't be much of a problem, but it looks like the key might be different.
  • Is my local Ford dealer really the only one who can program a new key? How much do they charge typically?
  • If there are alternatives to the dealer (automotive locksmith), what's the best way to find one locally?

Engine - The truck has the 5.4L engine, but I heard that there was possible two 5.4 engines, is that true? What are the differences and how do I know which one I have?

Dashboard cluster
Here is a photo of the dash cluster:

I have a couple of question on that:
  • Cruise control - When I turn the cruise control ON, there are no lights that come on on the dashboard, but when I activate it (i.e. set the cruise to a specific speed), then the little cruise control light come on green. Is that the normal behavior? I was actually expecting the CC light to turn on yellow when the cruise is turned on and green when it's set.
  • Space below speedometer - I am talking about the space shown below:

Not only it's empty, but when the cluster is illuminated at night, there is some ugly lighting leaking behind the speedo making it look brighter than the other gauges as well as weird (will try to take a picture at night).

So the questions is what should be there? and where can I find the what should be there...

What I suspect is that something's loose inside the cluster (whether it fell off, broke and was fixed / not fixed by the previous owner / dealer / etc... who knows) and that I will have to take the cluster apart to check it out. It doesn't look like that big of a job either, but I'd be interested in knowing what I should have there (the model is the Lariat with the center console shifter if that matters).

Interior mirror - There is something behind the interior mirror and I was wondering if the is stock (and what it is) or now:

Thanks for all the help.

Denis
Old 02-28-2016, 07:49 PM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi Denis, I am in the SF bay area also.
The cruise control light seems normal to me.
Keys...fobs are available at some parts stores, you can program them for your rig, along with a second key.
the thing at the mirror I am not sure of.
and your odometer is missing (that may be the noise)
if you want, PM me your vin, lets see if we can see what 5.4 you have.

Last edited by whomrig; 02-28-2016 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:00 PM

Received 267 Likes on 196 Posts

The thing behind the mirror almost looks like a GM GPS antenna.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:16 PM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

Let me chime in on a couple of these questions: the cruise control will show the dial symbol when set but will not display anything if just on and not set. Behind the mirror could be the compass. Below the should be a Lariat name, it does kinda look like someone has done some mods to the instrument cluster, I really don't remember the gauges coming with a white background, if so, the fuel and coolant temp gauge would have probably been white as well. And as far as the engine, the 2004-2008 New Body Style (what you have) has the 5.4L 3valve engine not the 5.4L 2valve engine, those were in the 2004 Heritage model and below to I think 98 or 99. Welcome to the site and nice truck by the way.
Tom
Old 02-28-2016, 08:21 PM

Received 224 Likes on 204 Posts

Also, you have the old model build date. This means that, unless the plugs were already changed, you will have the 2 - piece spark plugs.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:28 PM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

^good point
Old 02-28-2016, 08:56 PM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

Cruise control is normal, thing behind mirror is for the compass.

Trending Topics

Old 02-28-2016, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Fbcoach
Also, you have the old model build date. This means that, unless the plugs were already changed, you will have the 2 - piece spark plugs.
Yep, when I got the truck inspected (by an independent shop) they told me that it looked like the truck still had the original plugs in that that they highly recommended to change them. So I negotiated with the dealer that they chang them before I take delivery of the truck. The dealer claim they did... but that's something I need to check on.... How do I do that?
Old 02-28-2016, 09:10 PM

Thanks guys!

Regarding the dashboard, I found a couple of photos of what look like a stock Lariat clusters:

So it doesn't look like the gear indicator should be there... Hopefully it's just something inside the cluster that rattled out of position.

Now... if I am going to take the cluster apart, I might as well update the lights to LED's. What size and how many of each do I need? Are there kits where the color can be changed while mounted?

Denis
Old 02-29-2016, 05:43 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

The gear selector will be in the clusters speedometer IF you have a column shifter. If you have the floor console shifter, then the trucks trim name (Lariat, FX, etc) will be in the speedometer space mentioned.
To program a spare key yourself, you will need two keys. If you only have one key, then a locksmith or hardware store equipped with a device to read the transponder chip in the key is required. Shop around, as prices vary. You can buy a spare key online, but will require it to be "read" and programmed to your vehicle's PATS (passive anti theft system), which a locksmith, Ford dealership, or hardware store would have. Lowes or HomeDepot have them.

There were some slight design changes to the 5.4, having to do with the cam phase sensors and spark plugs. The early 5.4's had issues with plugs breaking off when they were being changed. The plugs changed to a one piece design, and this issue was resolved. If your truck has had a plug change in its past, it most likely has these new one piece plugs, and you would be good. If not, expect them to break, and a tool is required to remove the broken plug from the head.
Sometime in late 2006, Ford redesigned the cam phaser setup to be more robust, and not fail as early. If your engine has a ticking sound (sounds like noisy lifters), then the cam phasers may be on their way out. They too can be replaced with the upgraded parts (or may already have been), and will last much longer.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 02-29-2016 at 05:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Just got myself a 2006 F150 - Questions