Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Just bought my truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 10:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Just bought my truck

i bought my 04 F150 and on saturday and i was wondering what things i should look out for in regard to possible problems and things i might need to do to it...
its an xlt with 4wd and the 5.4 litre engine and i have 264xxx kms on it... i don't know the history on it as i picked it up at an auction fairly cheap
thanks
Old 12-15-2009, 11:02 PM
Lucky Number 7

Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts

I just bought an 04 with 84K miles... Is now in the shop getting a new transmission... Sucks...
Old 12-16-2009, 01:10 AM
Ironworkers Local 771

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

before worrying about the doom and gloom concerning transmission problems try the search option in the toolbar above, you'll not find that many considering how many are out there, your truck is on the high side as far as mileage goes but if it's maintained properly the 5.4 is capable of over 400,000K's with no major issues, with the amount of miles you have I'd look into when the last time the spark plugs were changed and probably get them done..........there are issues concerning spark plugs with your motor during the 04 to 06 production years, basicly the plugs get "seized" into the heads due to an extra turn on the plug thread protruding into the combustion chamber this in turn gets fowled with carbon which makes removing the plug difficult, if some procedures are followed and the work is done by a knowledgeable mechanic (read that as DEALERSHIP) this issue will be as painless (although a bit expensive) as any other maintenance issue you will encounter, I bought a 97 which had been beaten to hell and ended up sinking way to much money into it before calling it quits, needless to say I ended up trading it in on an 05 F150 (while I was in Saskatchewan by the way) and have loved every minute driving/playing in her.....I'll never give up on the F150 marque.
You have to remember that you've bought a 5 year old vehicle with higher mileage, don't expect to get away completely scot free but you've made a good decision.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:40 PM

thanks and up until about 20 minutes ago i was loving it but it wont start now and i'm not sure what's wrong... it cranks over no problem...
Old 12-17-2009, 09:06 PM

got it figured out i think it was the crank position sensor wire because after i jiggled it she fired right up... and also are there any common things i should start looking for?
Old 12-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by wyattjo
got it figured out i think it was the crank position sensor wire because after i jiggled it she fired right up... and also are there any common things i should start looking for?
There are a few common faults; power windows, spark plug removal (certain years), and poor gas mileage. Search on these if you want more information.

Quick Reply: Just bought my truck