Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Just bought a fx4 and its turning into a nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a fx4 and its turning into a nightmare

After totaling my ram earlier this year, I decided to go back to my ford roots. I recently purchased a 2007 FX4 crew cab. It's a beautiful truck, I feel in love with it right away. I've been having problems ever since leaving the lot and I need some advice. The dealership didn't disclose all the issues with the truck and I feel as if I have been taken advantage of. When I got home the 4x4 didn't work. I called the dealership and they were unreachable so I took it into my local ford shop. I had a bad IWE sensor and it cost me $200. Not only that but the also found that the ring and pinion was bad. The dealership I bought it from told me that all there mechs are really through because they are paid on commission. I found it hard to believe that these two huge issues we're missed. If only the problems stopped there. I made an appt with line x to get the bed sprayed because the liner didn't fit well. The real horror was found under the liner. There us a fist size hole in the bed. All the paint is scraped off and the wheel wells are dented all to hell. The bed is completely wrecked. Not only that but I also realized at this time one of the rims is bent with a huge flat spot. What should I do? I want it fixed because I feel they sold me something I did not get.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:02 PM

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Was this a Dealership? Or just a used car lot? Take lots of pictures. I would push for them to take the truck back. If they do not. Get a lawyer immediately. That is terrible. Im sorry this has happened to you.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:23 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

The IWE Solenoid is a common problem, and an easy 10 minute, sub $100 part fix. Unfortunately you're going to pay more when you have a dealership do your servicing. As far as the ring and pinion, what were the symptoms? If they found something wrong with that, it should have been very noticeable on your test drive.

Remember that the seller probably didn't take out the drop in either, and didn't know about the bed issues. It just means your truck was used as a truck, you can get the hole patched, and drop the bed liner back in to cover it up.

I hate to play the devil's advocate, but buyer beware. If the R&P is truly ****ed, you may have some room to push back at them, the rest sounds like you bought a used truck to me.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:29 PM

It was Schafer auto mall in pinconning MI, I noted the noise on my test drive and the salesman told me he would make a note of it, so that if it was to be an issue they would cover it. I can understand buying a used vehicle has it's down sides but the condition they said it was in and what it turned out to be are two different things. they offered a 3 day 100% money back guarantee but of course no one returned my calls before that time was up.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:37 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

They definitely at least owe you a new R&P. Do you have an email address for them so you can start getting things in writing?
Old 12-19-2010, 08:38 PM

one thing i do when i buy use take it to the ford dealer and get it looked at it might cost u 50 or 60 but 60 dollars well spent
Old 12-19-2010, 08:47 PM

No, the email the salesman gave me didn't work so I will be calling first thing Monday morning to get the ball rolling. I want to start putting in my car audio asap but this needs to be addressed first. The ring and pinion is covered under factory power train warranty. Just waiting on parts now.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:08 PM

Received 132 Likes on 79 Posts

how many miles on this truck and 200 dollars for the iwe solenoid it way to high
Old 12-19-2010, 09:11 PM

Not to sound like a d!ck but how come any problem that arises with a truck on this site the owner wants someone else to pay for it. Did the dealership hide the bent rim from you? did they swap on a bent rim after you bought it? Did they cut the hole in the bed under the liner after you bought it? Did they swap on a junk 4x4 solenoid after you bought the truck. The answer is to all of this is No. You just didn't completely look over what you were buying. I'm sorry but there isn't anyone to blame but yourself.

I will give you credit because you caught the R&P before and the dealership said they'd take care of it if it was a problem. Most dealers don't really check out a vehicle as complete as the new owner should.

I've been bit in the past on my first car I bought myself. I bought a 4th Gen Fbody that just got on a used car lot. It hadn't even been detailed yet it was so fresh on the lot. The car looked awesome but had a bra on it. I just assumed it was there for protection. After buying the car and getting it home I looked under the bra to find a lot of primer as someone had repainted the front bumper with no flex agent. I was pissed but I had no one else to blame but myself. I didn't even think it was the dealers responsibility to fix it. I also came to find out that the drivers side T-top was missing some parts as well. (Never thought to look above me as I test drove it.) Again I bought the parts and installed them myself. I made an agreement to buy the vehicle in the shape it was in, not for the dealer to fix any flaw I overlooked while buying the vehicle. It became a good learning lesson for my next vehicle purchases.

Last edited by FX4_Envy; 12-19-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:33 PM

It has 38000 miles on it. I agree, a lot of the responsibility falls on me. I admit that. My issue is that it had a 3 day 100% guarantee. I could not contact them and left messages with no return within this time frame.

Quick Reply: Just bought a fx4 and its turning into a nightmare