Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Issues with Powertrain Engines/Fraser Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 12:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Issues with Powertrain Engines/Fraser Warranty?

Ok so at the advice of members from this community I went ahead and purchased an engine from Powertrain Engines since it comes with a 3 year warranty.

I purchased the heavy duty 5.4 which comes with a few upgrades to help with longevity. Upon start up the engine lifter was making a noise, I called warranty and they say drive it and if it continues to let us know.

Then the seals on the vct solenoid were bad and were lubricated which allowed them to pop up. The lifter noise went away, but then came back and lost perfomance on the top end and MPG. No engine codes ever thrown.

So the warranty dept is wanting to pay 50 an hour and have the mechanic open up a new engine to check the cam phaser.

Mechanic charges more then that per hour, my question is shouldnt they just replace this engine if I am having issues?

I spent 3600 on a new engine, I do not want to fix a problem if they sent a bad engine.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:32 PM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

Good customer service would just send you a new engine...Idk why they're even spending money trying to "fix" a new/reman engine....Was it recently installed?
Old 03-22-2016, 12:42 PM

Thank you, my point exactly. Yes it was, and then it is frustrating as I went above and beyond and replaced parts along with new engine to make sure everything was clean fresh start. I even changed oil at 50,500,1500, and 2300 miles.

The fact I have to call and fight to get a new engine is making me frustrated as the truck is my daily driver, and they want to fuss about parts that they sent me.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:19 PM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

How many miles are on it now?
Old 03-22-2016, 01:59 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

This probably isn't going to be what you want to hear but, don't get your hopes up for a new engine... I've dealt with these type calls on occasion in the past when I used to stand behind the parts counter... Although I've never dealt with Powertrain. About the only way you'd get a new engine is if the bottom end grenaded and even then, they're gonna base replacing on whether it was abused, maintained, "properly installed", etc after they tear it down and determine what caused the problem. Read through your warranty paperwork REALLL good... I've tried searching for their warranty online, but couldn't find anything.

At this point, your only options are to 1.) eat the difference 2.) find a mechanic who will do the work at that hourly rate. Right now they're going to take the cheapest/fastest route to make that engine right. One bad cam phaser doesn't necessarily mean the whole engine is bad.

Don't shoot the messenger, just trying to help break down the process.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:16 PM

I have 3300 on the engine as I was trying to break it in, but I called them when it had 0 miles and it started to have a lifter noise.

Noise went away and everything was fine and dandy till 3200 miles and noise comes back alone with performance issues.

I spoke Rico, the owner of Fraser/Powertrain direct Engine he directed me to another person. Basically said he is the distributor and I have to go through the warranty people. That is the sum of what he said. His analogy was "if you go to Lowe's and buy a washer new bring it home, you have to go through manufacturer warranty and let someone work on it." My response was that if I buy something new, and it doesnt work, I am taking it back to the store!

Now the kicker is I took it to a mechanic shop who speaks spanish, not English. Warranty folks do not speak spanish, so it makes it hard to try and coordinate whats going on here.

All in all the warranty people are thinking it is a bad cam phaser, however it is was in there engine they sent me.

Ricco says he doesnt know anything about mechanics and really coudnt give me a solid answer, but he did seem somewhat concerned about my position so I am not exactly trying to throw them under , but I want to address this concern and see if others had problems like this

I just always felt like if I buy a new product that is defective, I do not want to open and fix it up and mess with it if it is defective, I want a new working product that has no defects from the get go. Cause who is to say that after xxx amount of time the engine breaks down from said defects?
Old 03-22-2016, 02:16 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Exactly what I was gonna to say...Find a Mechanic that will do the teardown for $50 an hour...there are out there.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by nrivera04
This probably isn't going to be what you want to hear but, don't get your hopes up for a new engine... I've dealt with these type calls on occasion in the past when I used to stand behind the parts counter... Although I've never dealt with Powertrain. About the only way you'd get a new engine is if the bottom end grenaded and even then, they're gonna base replacing on whether it was abused, maintained, "properly installed", etc after they tear it down and determine what caused the problem. Read through your warranty paperwork REALLL good... I've tried searching for their warranty online, but couldn't find anything.

At this point, your only options are to 1.) eat the difference 2.) find a mechanic who will do the work at that hourly rate. Right now they're going to take the cheapest/fastest route to make that engine right. One bad cam phaser doesn't necessarily mean the whole engine is bad.

Don't shoot the messenger, just trying to help break down the process.
That is my problem, it didnt really come with warranty info going into exact detailed what is covered and how they define the said warranty.

I am going to call this other person, Ricky Peti (last name spelled wrong i tlhink) he is the manager that can help look over this issue and possible push for a new engine.

I am just wondering what this failed issue is doing to the engine each day goes by when I use it, as this is my daily driver and I have no other vehicle to use
Old 03-22-2016, 02:28 PM

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts

What's your location?

I'm a mobile mechanic. I usually charge $75 an hour plus service call fee and parts, but I'd be willing to help a forum member out and do it for $50 per hour.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:43 PM

I reside in Arlington, Texas, by stadium.

I am going to see if Rick has any input on a shop that he recommends that charges 50 a hour and can go direct with the warranty for payment. Less hassle on my part.

I called Christian Brothers Automotive they are charging 109, and few other shops charging 75.

I am trying to find a reputable mechanic that knows what he is doing and if the warranty people can recommend someone at least it would fall back on them.

Quick Reply: Issues with Powertrain Engines/Fraser Warranty?