Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Issues with ford f150 2004 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues with ford f150 2004 5.4

In july of this year after 180,000 miles I lost my transmission , after 3 transmissions replaces and a piece of plastic it was fixed . I did not have my truck back less then 5 days intake manifold gasket went had it fixed . Did not have my truck back less then 4 hours temp gauge spiked and engine light came on , well it was my fan clutch got it fixed . Once again less then 24 hours my truck started with acting up replaced MAS just yesterday . Now 24 hours later its shuttering from start off at a stop through 30 miles per hour, doing it from 50 to 60. Idling rough when in park . I am at my wits end . I have had my coil packs done, spark plugs and all . Here is what is throwing us off not a single code or check engine light has come on . So far we are just in a month of repairs around 6000.00 My dad keeps the maintance on this truck well, oil changes and filters and such. Please if anyone can help us before I take it back to the shop with advice We would be so glad . I have been reading on this ..And my throttlebody has been replaced in less then a year as well.

Last edited by kimberly; 08-02-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:18 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

So you had 3 transmissions replaced since July? I would really be questioning the mechanics that do it. I don't have an ideal about the other stuff. Unless maybe your computer is fried causing rough idle and shuttering.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:06 PM
Oklahoma

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're having to pay every time to fix something, I would take it to a different mechanic shop. But it does sound like something may be up with the computer. As for the gasket I don't know. Maybe just old
Old 08-03-2014, 01:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. I am almost there. Having issues right now with the Coils misfiring. Changed 4 of 8. In 2 weeks i will be doing the other 4. I am at 164,000 miles. I had a mechanic change out my right side valve cover seal and thats when the issues starting to happen. Took it back and he swapped out coil 3 and 4. Still had issues, Decided i was going to drop big cash like you with this mechanics because he never checked the oil pressure and told me on the phone he thinks it might be the lifters....... thats the point when I decided he was cut off. Move on.

Sorry to hear about your issues but I would check another shop that has the most advance equipment. They can do more tests without playing the TRY THIS THEN TRY THAT game. Good luck!
Old 08-03-2014, 02:39 PM

The transmissions had flaws in them , the last one was brand new put in all covered under warranty. Thank you for your advice . Its going to another shop as of tomorrow . I wont take it to the ford dealership cause they messed up my coil packs and spark plugs, had to take it to another shop after that to have it fixed right.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:02 PM

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm in your boat also... I haven't even put 3k miles on mine yet and dumped 6k into it... It's at the shop now to get fixed for the last time! Coils.... Plugs.... Blah blah blah ... I finally forced it to throw a code and what did I get??.... P0300 random misfire??? Price of advice, get rid of it!
Old 08-03-2014, 07:58 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have 05 with 102k i got from an auction last month and also have a shudder from ~20-30 mph and also at 50mph (not as bad as the lower speed shudder). Also have vibration with a rough idle (not implying they are related).

Let me know if u figure anything out on the shudder. Doesnt seem like a wheel balance. Ujoint doesnt seem to have much play, but not ruling it out. I have my mechanic lookling at it next week and will let u know as well if i figure anything out. Thanks
Old 08-03-2014, 11:22 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

You need to learn how to wrench or it will get expensive.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:18 AM

I have the worse shuddering at stop to 30 with the vibration and rough idle . It's going to the shop tomorrow , what makes me laugh at this at times is when a shop tells me there is nothing wrong with my truck . I have drove this truck since 06 I got it then used and I know this truck and how it drives , reacts and runs . Hopefully I can find out what the issue is and let those know whom have this issue as well, to help them in saving from tossing money out the window .
Old 08-04-2014, 07:29 AM

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by kimberly
I have the worse shuddering at stop to 30 with the vibration and rough idle . It's going to the shop tomorrow , what makes me laugh at this at times is when a shop tells me there is nothing wrong with my truck . I have drove this truck since 06 I got it then used and I know this truck and how it drives , reacts and runs . Hopefully I can find out what the issue is and let those know whom have this issue as well, to help them in saving from tossing money out the window .
I will share my findings later today as well

Quick Reply: Issues with ford f150 2004 5.4