Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Issue with Coils on 5.4 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 11:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Issue with Coils on 5.4 Engine

So I purchased new coils from MSD to replace all coils. Originally a few coils were replaced, not sure which ones but then mechanic said it was acting up again.

Took it to a mechanic who is a friend of mine and he suspected it was the coil connector wires that were not allowing for a good connection.

Wondering if anyone else have this problem and if so how easy was the fix?

I found this for sale on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8pcs-Modular...-/291397125315

Not sure if you recommend that or a different route, I was thinking of just having the connectors all replaced. Is the link I provided decent connectors that will work great? I do not want to add a inferior product to the truck

After attempts to clean it he is saying some of them may be a issue according to his scanner and how the coils are reading.

I just bought a new engine, along with several other parts, so I am trying to do it right.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:14 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

While many here will state that only Ford fomoco coils be used, others have had good success with other manufacturers COP's (coil on plug). Is your mechanic getting specific trouble codes from the OBD-II, indicating a specific cylinder that is mis-firing? If so, post them here. What can be done to help narrow down a coil or its connector is to move the suspect coil over to another spark plug, and then drive it a short time and see if the original code clears, but re-appears with a new trouble code on the cylinder you moved the suspect coil to. If so, the coil is the issue, and not a connector.
Did you also replace the spark plug boot and springs? Spark plugs? It could be that the spark plug boots/springs are not making a good, tight connection to the spark plug; common when just the coils are replaced.
Not questioning the mechanic, but I'd ask if this was done to keep you from tossing more money at the repair. Those coils you bought were not cheap!

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 02-24-2016 at 05:18 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:33 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

If your trying to do it right ... remove and replace all 8 COP’s with motor craft parts...be sure in install new boots and springs and use dielectric grease where required. there is more than likely nothing wrong with the COP wiring...it would be the COP itself. MSD COP’s are not the greatest,
Old 02-24-2016, 12:37 PM

No engine codes were thrown, he had it on a scanner and it showed a graph in which some coils were reading flat and others were going up and down. He said it should be flat.

I have new engine put in, new spark plugs, boots and coils were just replaced. So I would think coils be good and that it is the Coil connectors.

The Spark plugs came in with the new engine, so he didnt have to tamper with them.
Trying to find motorcraft coil connectors that way I ensure quality is there.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:42 PM
Mark

OK... whatever you want to think... I'll bet you it's cheap COP's causing an issue or even the wrong brand plugs. Let us know what brand of parts were used on your new engine... and why would you replace only a few COP's on a new engine ? don't make sense..
Old 02-24-2016, 01:20 PM

I think you misunderstood me, originally my first engine I replaced a few of the coils.

Then I said screw it and decided to replace all 8 with MSD 82438 Blaster Coil-on-Plug
here is the link:
Amazon.com: MSD 82438 Blaster Coil-on-Plug, (Set of 8): Automotive Amazon.com: MSD 82438 Blaster Coil-on-Plug, (Set of 8): Automotive

New engine, has new boots, spark plugs, and the MSD coils.

Crate Engine came from powertraindirect.com I purchased the heavy duty version which came with high volume oil pump, graphite pistons, oversized crankshaft, and high volume oil pump

I purchased a new radiator, radiator hoses, thermostat, water pump, serpentine belt, exhaust manifolds, gaskets, and engine mounts.

From my research the MSD was suppose to be on par with Motorcraft coils. ALthough I am willing to buy all new 8 even though I dropped good money on the MSD coils. I just want the best for the new engine since I am over 5k in parts. I do not want to shy away now and skimp out.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:36 PM
Mark

Any DTC's ... it would be nice to troubleshoot a little before you spend anymore money. you can swap COP's around for one cylinder to another to see if the fail follows. you can use a mulitmeter to check the COP wires also..
Old 02-24-2016, 01:44 PM

No codes thrown yet, and sorry I am not best when it comes to mechanics. Not my strongsuit, but I do try. So to clarify, I get swapping the COP's around, what should the reading be on the multimeter to check the wires??

He had a scanner hooked up to truck, and it showed an updated visual graph of the COPs at work when engine was idling. HE stated that they should read flat reading but few of them were not. So that is were I come in at trying to figure out what to do.

I think the multimeter is a great start to see if it is indeed the wires.

I haven't even broken in the engine yet , let alone drive a mile. I am about to go easy on her today and break her in to see how she operates. I will say she is definitely quiet compared to old motor.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:48 PM
Mark

too bad you did not note which cylinders were not right on his graph... all the voltage from the COP wires should be close to the same... no sure what it is for the 3V...I did this on a 2V 5.4.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:41 PM

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Interested to see if the coils are what the problem is as I am considering them.

Quick Reply: Issue with Coils on 5.4 Engine