Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Intermittent shuddering while towing........

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 12:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Intermittent shuddering while towing........

2006 F-150 FX4
A little background info. Bought the truck in January, and dealer had the one owner carfax with all scheduled maintenance performed by ford. Since then I have put 3k mi on it with no major issues. 83,000mi on it right now. Had some skipping at 15-1700 rpms around 45MPH, and attributed it to bad plugs/coils. Put in a new fuel filter and 80% of the skipping has gone away.

None of that concerns me, because I am hoping to put in the new plugs and COP’s here in a week or so. I am well aware of the issues that could arise and have the Lisle tool on hand. This is what happened to me this weekend:

I was pulling my boat (1600lbs.) to the river, which is 1:45min. drive. I sometimes leave the trans in OD when on the interstate with flats. Well I was in some stop and go and had the truck in OD, speeds under 45MPH and all of the sudden my exhaust sounded way off, and I started to feel like the truck was driving on cattle grates, or an eroded driveway. It got really bumpy and just felt very odd. I took it out of OD and it seemed to get a bit better. After a few minutes I pulled over, and didn’t see any strange signs at all. Got back on the road and kept OD locked out and had no issues on the rest of the way up there. On the way home I kept the trans locked out of OD and I didn’t have any issues either.

Does this sound like a COP decided to drop out on me all of the sudden, or does it sound like an entire bank did? Maybe a transmission issue? I don’t think it is a trans issue as my exhaust pulse was off during the ordeal so I think it was motor related. It almost felt as if I had a leak in the exhaust header…….. Temp gauges and Oil pressure all looked good. I am thinking about adding a vacuum pressure gauge and trans temp gauge to the dash.

Not sure if this is related, but I had the A/C on at a gas station a few minutes before, and the truck was making a tocking noise when in park with the A/C on. Cut the A/C off and sound disappeared.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:51 AM

Somebody, anybody!!!
Old 05-12-2015, 12:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

more than likely your new spark plugs will take care of this. This is a known issue, and is more apparant under load, ie towing a boat in OD with the a/c on. Get your plugs changed dude and all will be good
Old 05-12-2015, 01:12 PM

Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

I would also do COPs if they haven't been done yet
Old 05-12-2015, 02:50 PM

Thanks guys. Bour, I actually purchased 8 COP's from Global Automotive along with the newer Motorcraft plugs. I plan an removing any chance of issues that I can. I will check back in once I get er done.

On a side note, do you guys recommend using impact wrench or good old hand powered socket wrench to get these plugs loose?
Old 05-12-2015, 03:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used Impact and broke 2/8. Follow the guide and you might not break any
Old 05-12-2015, 03:34 PM

Thanks Eric. Are you talking about the TSB guide by ford, or the guide on here?

Quick Reply: Intermittent shuddering while towing........