Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Intermittent Second Gear Start from Stop - Transmission Shift Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Intermittent Second Gear Start from Stop - Transmission Shift Hesitation

Hello Ford Fans,
My 2006 F150 4.6l XLT is having intermittent issues with the truck hesitating when accelerating from a stop. The engine starts to rev up then after a second or less it feels like a delayed shift down to first and the truck will accelerate normally but with a fair bump when it drops into gear.

The truck is at a local transmission service shop with a good reputation but so far he hasn't found the issue. The Ford dealer loaded a new program and said "Can't find the issue" so I'm not keen to return to them.

I'm hoping someone might have had the same issue and could comment on what it took to fix it. As tempting as it is, I'm not interested in the sell the truck solution at this point.

So far he has replaced the solenoids and shift valves, installed a shift kit and tried a new valve body. His reader is telling him that first gear is being requested by the vehicle computer but he is not seeing the shift until after the start of acceleration. Fluids were clean with just the usual fuzz on the magnet. He has no smoking gun at this point and his next step is to pull the transmission and start exploring. So before going to that step, I thought I'd see if anyone can provide some help or pass along their experience.

The issue is intermittent but will occur more often when the the truck is driven hard. Say one in every four stops when driven hard and 1 in 20 stops when cold. The issue is slowly getting worse.

Please let me know if there is any additional detail that might help.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:55 PM

Received 1,137 Likes on 820 Posts

Someone with more knowledge will chime in and I can only say what I've done for my 2011 with this issue.

When you say that Ford loaded a "new program" do you mean updated the PCM? This was going to my first stop until I found out the price for 10 minutes of work and now with the recall out I can go have it done for free.

Tried deleting the kam? (Assuming your transmission is similar to the 2011)

Trans fluid; but you already said you did that.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:59 AM

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't think the 2 trans are any thing alike,hope its some thing minor in the valve body or a solenoid easy and cheap to correct
Old 05-19-2016, 11:08 AM

Angry

Unfortunately, the solenoids have already been replaced and a new valve body was tried. As suggested this is the 2006 4 speed 4R75e transmission that does not have the KAMs to be cleared (I'm pretty sure). If I'm wrong here, please let me know.

Still looking for a direction to take this. -are there any other experiences or suggestions out there.

C.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:15 AM

Default ANY ADMINS - Can you move this thread to the "2004 - 2008 Ford F150" topic please?

ANY ADMINS - Can you move this thread to the "2004 - 2008 Ford F150" topic please?

Sorry. I started the thread under the wrong topic.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:17 AM
Some guy

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Moved.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by canuckster
Unfortunately, the solenoids have already been replaced and a new valve body was tried. As suggested this is the 2006 4 speed 4R75e transmission that does not have the KAMs to be cleared (I'm pretty sure). If I'm wrong here, please let me know.

Still looking for a direction to take this. -are there any other experiences or suggestions out there.

C.
I only looked quickly, but someone within this thread thinks you can reset the KAM on an 02.

https://www.f150forum.com/f2/need-he...how-reset-326/

Was the PCM flashed? You didn't say what program the dealer did.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:07 PM

It appears you are right and I will make sure the KAM is cleared. But I'm guessing this is what the Ford dealer did. I phoned and they don't have a record of updating the software which is what they said they did.

Although it doesn't hurt to ask, I would think that my transmission mechanic would have cleared the KAM.

Any other Ford owners with an issue like mine?
Old 05-19-2016, 07:34 PM

You'd be surprised what some mechanics don't know, especially ones that see all kinds of cars everyday. I had one out to help with the pan drop of the transmission and I had to crawl under it and show them where the fill plug and dip stick was.

If they don't have a record of it, I sure hope you didn't pay for it. Around here it's $130+ for a PCM reflash and you'd get a receipt for it. Might be worth seeking a different Ford dealership before tearing into the transmission. You can reset the KAM yourself, but you can't update the PCM or delete the transmission adaptive tables without Ford IDS access.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:15 PM

Here's the thing though. The transmission mechanic was test driving it with his reader connected. When he came to a stop, he could see the computer ask for the appropriate solenoid to be energized/de-energized for first gear. Yet the first gear engagement was delayed until after he started his acceleration from the stop. I assume his reader is giving a pretty direct view into what the computer output is or should be.

To me this says it's the transmission that is misbehaving and not the computer. No?

KAMs would delay the signal to the solenoid right? My interpretation is that we're seeing that signal by the computer get sent without an appropriate response from the transmission.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Second Gear Start from Stop - Transmission Shift Hesitation