Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

intake manifold dealer only?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intake manifold dealer only?

Hey ya'll I have what I suspect to be a cracked intake manifold (coolant dripping down the back of the motor by the bellhousing and a rough idle despite no CEL). I called my local parts store for a quote on a replacement they said it was a dealer only item...not a big deal ill hit up a junkyard. Well surprise no junkyard in a 100 miles has one and now im kind of in a bind as my wife is 39 weeks pregnant and I NEED my truck running will any other years intake manifold work? or is my only real option ordering one from the dealer in the AM. I'd really rather not drop $500 on an intake manifold the week before me and my wife will be out of work for an extended period of time in her case. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated also I have not verified 100% that its a cracked manifold but I did check the hoses and heater core and its definatly coming from the back of the motor no puddling I can see and It happened overnight while the truck was in the driveway, coincidentally there was a cold snap lastnight that I suspect is the culprit of the crack as we all know extreme temp changes and old plastic don't mix well. btw my trucks an 07 with 4.6 any help with this issue is GREATLY appreciated.

Last edited by cornfed89; 01-19-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:24 PM

Default replacement

go online to Dorman Products .com they sell and new and improved version , it comes with all the gaskets you need if I remember
Old 01-19-2014, 08:39 PM
VFL

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Yup Dorman may have it, if they do get the part #. If you can get the part #, Advance Auto CAN order it. Dorman supplies a great deal of their products, but not all of them are listed in their software.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:22 PM

Unhappy

I tried dorman, parts geek, and rock auto as well as ebay all I can find is the 5.4 intake manifold.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:24 PM

It baffles me why this particular intake manifold would be dealer only especially being plastic you would think companies would have a large customer base for an aftermarket one.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:28 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by cornfed89
Hey ya'll I have what I suspect to be a cracked intake manifold (coolant dripping down the back of the motor by the bellhousing and a rough idle despite no CEL). I called my local parts store for a quote on a replacement they said it was a dealer only item...not a big deal ill hit up a junkyard. Well surprise no junkyard in a 100 miles has one and now im kind of in a bind as my wife is 39 weeks pregnant and I NEED my truck running will any other years intake manifold work? or is my only real option ordering one from the dealer in the AM. I'd really rather not drop $500 on an intake manifold the week before me and my wife will be out of work for an extended period of time in her case. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated also I have not verified 100% that its a cracked manifold but I did check the hoses and heater core and its definatly coming from the back of the motor no puddling I can see and It happened overnight while the truck was in the driveway, coincidentally there was a cold snap lastnight that I suspect is the culprit of the crack as we all know extreme temp changes and old plastic don't mix well. btw my trucks an 07 with 4.6 any help with this issue is GREATLY appreciated.

Check the water crossover IN FRONT of the intake manifold for leaks... Your thermostat and another coolant (heater core) line run through this crossover.. There is no coolant running through the intake manifold..

A rough idle may be a dirty throttle body, dirty MAF, weak voltage from the battery...

The leak can seem like its the manifold because it will flow under the intake manifold plenum.. Check to see if there is any coolant pooling on the block under the intake manifold.. You can do this when you remove the intake housing to clean the TB...

If its not the water crossover, then inspect your freeze plugs.

intake manifold dealer only?-image-1663110034.jpg

Hopefully these pics will help..
Attached Thumbnails intake manifold dealer only?-image-3500690077.jpg  

Last edited by Especial86; 01-20-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:19 PM

by in front of you mean against the firewall correct? and im in the process of pulling the intake manifold I noticed some coolant in the valley and could feel some running down the backside of where the t-stat connects to the intake manifold, also there was no gasket on the t-stat???? thankyou for all the pics and detailed response I really appreciate it.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:48 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by cornfed89
by in front of you mean against the firewall correct? and im in the process of pulling the intake manifold I noticed some coolant in the valley and could feel some running down the backside of where the t-stat connects to the intake manifold, also there was no gasket on the t-stat???? thankyou for all the pics and detailed response I really appreciate it.
No.. The water cross over is in the front, right behind the alternator. the water cross over is what you TStat is mounted to. No gasket or O ring on the T-Stat could be the culprit.. A leaking T stat would definitely leak on to the top of the block, then travel down the back toward the firewall..
Old 01-20-2014, 08:27 PM

unfortunately I think the intake manifold is the culprit I took the tstat out and the fluid was level with the top of the manifold went back out a few min later and its down significantly...like I cant see it anymore im guessing as the truck hasn't been ran since yesterday that the system shouldn't be burping or anything so the coolant must be leaking past that point correct? sorry if the questions seem a little stupid just trying to make sure I don't flush $500 down the drain btw the crossover seems dry as far as I can tell.

Quick Reply: intake manifold dealer only?