Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Intake with GROWL?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 12:58 AM
svs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake with GROWL?!

I'm in the market for a new intake and wanted to check in with fellow F150 members as to what intake is preferred for our trucks?
I'm on the fence with AEM & Volant. Which of the two is the performer?
Also would the AEM be louder since it utilizes aluminum properties?
I'm assuming that plastic would absorb the sound more.
I'm really looking for that pissed off growling sound too!

I've never heard an intake on our trucks just on a buddies Hemi and that thing growls just as loud as an exhaust set up it seems. (of which he doesn't have)
Just Rude sounding! Do we even get any growl with an intake set up?

Currently I'm running a custom 87 performance tune from Gryphon so I know I'll have to get a new tune to accommodate the intake.
Anyone know what the turn around time for this would be?
I remember it taking like 4 months just for the tune. Hope it's not like this still or I won't even bother : (

Thank's in advance for any insight guys!
Old 02-21-2012, 01:36 AM

Received 123 Likes on 118 Posts

I have an AFE stage II CAI and I love it. It gets nice and loud under load and it doesnt give me any error codes on my truck. I have an Edge and I know people say the trucks run lean with a CAI sometimes but I havent had that issue (luckily).
As for the two you are looking at, I have heard of people using both a good amount but have heard of more people commenting how much they like the AEM Bruteforce. I guess we will have to leave it to others who have them to comment for you. Good luck with the decision!
Old 02-21-2012, 02:30 AM
svs

Thanks for chiming in 06f150.
So you have no lights/codes with your stock edge?

I have a custom tuned gryphon and read that I will need to have it re tuned making for bigger hp gains from the intake? (adjusting air fuel mixture)

I really want that growl sound. I know that both intakes are qaulity and will give me hp either way I go.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have the aFe stage II, and i can't say enough good things about it. The airbox "seals" directly to the hood and makes the whole hood resonate.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:11 AM

Oh, and personally i'd go with the aluminum pipe, it looks good and sounds good.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:33 AM
svs

Originally Posted by huntergatherer
Oh, and personally i'd go with the aluminum pipe, it looks good and sounds good.

This is what I'm thinking too.
I've read comments about alluminum making heat but I've also read that it's not in the intake tube nowhere even long enough to build up heat.
I'm assuming AFE/AEM know this already and there for make these shiny beauties! Lol

Plus I think plastic tubing will absorb some sound and aluminum tubing will yield a louder growl. This is of course in theory? Anyone agree or disagree?

Love the look of the polished AFE and also the look of the Volant sealed box.
Could still go either way but leaning towards AFE.

Hmmm???
Old 02-21-2012, 03:41 AM
svs

Just realized that AEM is polished and AFE is not right?
Old 02-21-2012, 04:22 AM

Received 123 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by svs
Thanks for chiming in 06f150.
So you have no lights/codes with your stock edge?

I have a custom tuned gryphon and read that I will need to have it re tuned making for bigger hp gains from the intake? (adjusting air fuel mixture)

I really want that growl sound. I know that both intakes are qaulity and will give me hp either way I go.
Yea just using my stock Edge...I dont have any codes and never have (knock on wood) the year ive had my truck. I think its mainly because the AFE doesnt relocate the MAF sensor away from or closer to the throttle body. It is really close to where the stock one had it located.

I am looking at getting a custom tune (87 tow) from PHP but they havent responded to my email that i sent 3 weeks ago...i dont know if i wanna just send it in without talking to someone first....

Also yes the AFE is not polished like the AEM but i dont really think it makes a huge difference...i dont know about the AEM but one of the main reasons i went with the AFE is because the filter is enclosed..helps keep some stuff off the filter when you are muddin..and the filter can be cleaned with just water..no oil filter.

Last edited by 06F150CFCT; 02-21-2012 at 04:26 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:23 AM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

I think you should prioritize first. Sound shouldn't be a top priority with an intake, filtration should be number one as that's its primary job. So of those two that you listed (if you don't want the Gotts mod), I'd go with the Volant and a powercore filter.

Yes you will need custom tunes for the intake. It might take a couple months as Bill is pretty swamped with stuff and Corey's health has be shaky. Just because you don't have codes doesn't mean it's not running lean, just not lean enough to trip the dummy light. Use PHP's live chat to talk to them on their website, their email will kick many into the junk folder where they will never see it if you try to email.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:25 AM

I have a K&N 77 series and that was the exact reason I put it on, to get a performance sound when accelerating. The stock sounds more like an industrial engine.

Got a code the day of installation and has been fine since.

I do have an intermittent issue where the engine will rev at 4000 but have no power but others have that issue too without the CAI.
Attached Thumbnails Intake with GROWL?!-100_1009.jpg  

Quick Reply: Intake with GROWL?!