Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Instrument Cluster/Panel Light Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster/Panel Light Help!

Hello, I have a 2006 Ford F-150 XLT, and I have a couple of lights burnt out in the instrument cluster. I decided when I replace the burnt out bulbs I might as well replace all of them to LED, and probably even change the color. I've searched a lot but can't find the exact answers to my questions, and I'm hoping some of you can help me out and answer them before I take the entire cluster assembly out to change the bulbs. My questions are:

1. When bulb would be best to use? I know the actual Ford part numbers (YL3Z-13B765-CA and -DA), but wondered if there is an actual bulb number that I can find the LED lights for? I have read anything from bulb type #74, to 161, 194, 37. I've also seen T5 and T10 type LED bulbs. What would be the best and brightest?

2. Does the bulb separate from the socket? Or do I have the buy the entire part together? Also, if it does separate, how easy is it to put a bulb back in? Do I need to solder or mess with the wires coming from the bulb at all?

3. I know Ford used the green/teal backlight on the instrument clusters, and I have read sometimes the needle doesn't show up very well after you change the bulbs to LED bulbs. I am going to go with green LED bulbs anyways (my truck is green), so in your opinion will green show up decent enough to see?

Thank you very much to anyone with any help!

Last edited by quiksilver2101; 05-07-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:13 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

They are very easy to remove and install. They just plug into a very little socket that unscrews from the back of the instrument cluster.

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster/Panel Light Help!