Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

instrument cluster gauges big issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default instrument cluster gauges big issue

ok tonight when i got in my truck i know have no lights in my instrument cluster when i turn my headlamps on no ac control lights nothing and i also noticed that when my parking lights are on they dim out and then come back on like every two seconds and i can see a little light trying to come in on the ac controls every time this happens i checked all the fuses it that are listed in the fuse box panel and all are good what else could be causeing this issue if it would be a fuse for sure what would it be listed as besides like instrument cluster or parking lamp?? i really need help cant even drive at night
Old 05-26-2009, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. thats no good. I am not a mechanic, so I could be way off on this but it seems to me if your truck started normally then it's probably not your battery or alternator. (however I would check all the cables and wires to make sure none are loose or chaffed).

My first thought was a bad fuse as well, but when you said it goes from bright to dim every few seconds it makes me think that something is drawing too much power from the system (maybe a shorted wire somewhere).

I would try starting your truck and turning everyting possible that draws electrical power off (air-conditioner, radio, gps, overhead lights, nothing plugged into cig lighter ect...). If this gets rid of the problem then you can turn each thing back on one at a time to isolate what is causing it. If that doesn't work just look and feel closely for any loose or exposed wire.

Just my thoughts, and hey, according to my wife I know what I'm talking about every now and then. So maybe todays the day.

Good luck
Old 05-26-2009, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just thought of something else. These items, even when turned off might still have a hot wire going to them. So you might have to pull the fuses for all of them and if it fixes the problem you can then re-insert each fuse one at a time to see whats causing the problem.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:16 AM

Received 199 Likes on 94 Posts

check headlight switch or dimmer switch
Old 05-29-2009, 12:27 AM

Default instrument lights out

ok tonight i checked it out again and when i turn the dimmer switch up the parking lights begin to blink if i keep it down they just dim a little bit and i also heard a slight buzzing sound and its comming from the fuse box on the passenger side it makes the sound every time the lights dim out and i also noticed that the ac control lights come in a little every time the parking lights blink but nothing on the instrument cluster, i really dont know what it could be, would it be in the fuse box?, would it do this same thing if it were the dimmer switch
Old 05-29-2009, 01:36 AM

Pull the panel with the dimmer and the Headlight switch. Ck for a problem is one shorted out ?

there was a thread not to long ago. his inst cluster light didn't work but his ac lights did? He thought it was his instr cluster circuit board. but he went to a junk yard bought the panel with both switches to use as a tester. turned out that his dimmer sw was bad.

Oh yeah! iF If I am off on my memory someone can post in on this.

Ck out the thread ... search it
No lights in my Instrument Cluster???
Old 06-23-2009, 11:16 PM

dimmer switch is fine i even tried a new one and now last night my parking lights dont even work at all everything is out except my headlights now so the truck isnt even driveable and i hate to let a dealer look at it and charge me an arm and a leg any ideas
Old 06-24-2009, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by chance985
dimmer switch is fine i even tried a new one and now last night my parking lights dont even work at all everything is out except my headlights now so the truck isnt even driveable and i hate to let a dealer look at it and charge me an arm and a leg any ideas
Did you also check the headlight switch?
I would have bought the whole panel from a wrecking yard and used for a tested. the last guy that had inst light problems bought a used panel with the Headlight sw and dimmer for 20 or 25 he used the two sw for testers.

If it isn't the switches then I would look for shorts. start looking at wires and bulbs. check out the relay?

I wish you were close to me I would chek it out for you
Old 07-17-2009, 12:03 AM

whats the best way to tell if it could be a relay is there a way to see if a relay is bad? i got another switch but still nothing changed its just slowly shorting more things out im thinking it had something to do with the new cd/dvd player i installed cause all this happened about a week later could it have caused an issue i know it was all installed correctly and ive even checked it all out
Old 07-17-2009, 01:09 AM

You need a wiring diagram. Try a test light but a Volt ohm meter is what is really needed. Test the powers, grounds etc. using the diagram. I missed the part of you installing the radio a week before?
Have you tried to disconnect the radio and any amps and see if the cluster-lights work any different?
There isn’t much I can help with from here. MY suggestions are based on basic car ideas from models I have dealt with.
Maybe someone with more experience with the F150 could help.
Maybe you will need to take it to a shop.

Quick Reply: instrument cluster gauges big issue