Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Installing rearview camera in OEM Nav Unit

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing rearview camera in OEM Nav Unit

Just purchased an OEM Nav unit on eBay for my 07 150 SCREW. I'm told that they don't come ready to install a rearview camera but it can be done. Anyone have any experience with this or suggestions? My goal is to remain with factory look inside but I wanted to upgrade my headunit with one that has navigation and a rearview camera.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:22 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Some folks here have installed the '09 rear Ford oval tailgate emblem that has a rear view camera in it. There was a post on this about a month or so ago. I went the route of buying a license plate surround ring that had a camera built into it. I powered this camera to the pink wire of the left (or you can use the right) side taillight assembly, as the pink wire is the reverse lead. This way the camera powers on only when the vehicle is in reverse. If you want the availability to view the rear while driving (for example, when your pulling a trailer), then the camera will need to connect to a source lead that's "hot" when the ignition is in the "run" position. Check your OEM NAV unit to see if this is an option (camera on anytime).

I bought a Pioneer AVIV D2 unit that has the navigation, rear camera, AM/FM, MP3. It's a double din and fits perfect in the stock space. It was used, and ended up getting it for $200.00. The rear chrome license plate ring with camera was $89.00. Pioneer has newer units out there (expensive), so if you want all the bells and whistles, and don't want to break your wallet, deals on the earlier units are available.

I'm not sure how the OEM NAV units work with a camera setup; they were too high priced for me to consider.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:35 AM

Thanks for the reply and comments. I will post how this whole thing goes down for me using OEM unit once I'm done.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:05 PM

If you find out any more about whether this will work or not, let me know, I want to do this too.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:28 AM

I'm right in the midst of this but here's what I know so far. It can be done and I'm in the process. A seperate device that provides the RCA connections for the camera must be connected to the OEM headunit. This includes a small box that will be mounted out of sight in the dash plus some work must be done internal to the headunit itself. The cost to get the headunit ready for connecting a rearview camera is about $400. Then you have to add the cost of the actual camera, wiring, and install. Given that my 07 didn't have the OEM nav I also need to have the headunit programmed (on ebay they charge $85). This will take care of changing the audio setup for whether you have a subwoofer, steering wheel controls, sat radio, etc. They are NOT plug and play.

I have a guy here locally who is going to take care of everything (programming, all components - including camera, and all installation) for about $500. BTW, this will also allow you to hook up an external DVD to the unit.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by GTRBT
I'm right in the midst of this but here's what I know so far. It can be done and I'm in the process. A seperate device that provides the RCA connections for the camera must be connected to the OEM headunit. This includes a small box that will be mounted out of sight in the dash plus some work must be done internal to the headunit itself. The cost to get the headunit ready for connecting a rearview camera is about $400. Then you have to add the cost of the actual camera, wiring, and install. Given that my 07 didn't have the OEM nav I also need to have the headunit programmed (on ebay they charge $85). This will take care of changing the audio setup for whether you have a subwoofer, steering wheel controls, sat radio, etc. They are NOT plug and play.

I have a guy here locally who is going to take care of everything (programming, all components - including camera, and all installation) for about $500. BTW, this will also allow you to hook up an external DVD to the unit.
I have an 08 with factory nav and the factory rear camera (it's in the tailgate door handle). the way it is now I get the image in the rear view mirror. IS there a way to get it so it's on the nav screen?
Old 11-19-2009, 10:01 PM

Yes, that's part of what I described in this thread earlier today. I don't think you would have to program your headunit like I do because I am upgrading to the nav unit but you would have to add the RCA components and then connect your camera wires to this unit. I found this guy on eBay and he was very helpful, and willing to talk about this. His name is Will and his phone number is 469-767-4846 (He's leaving for Thanksgiving over the weekend). He charges $399 to get an OEM Nav unit ready for a rearview camera. It will also allow you to play a DVD on the OEM Nav unit.

Here's the link to the eBay auction where I found him.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PROGR...fAudioQ5fVideo

My local guy is charging me about the same amount for this work. His name is Ken 407-808-9981. He does all the audio/video work for several local Ford dealers. His name was given to me by the folks at Don Reid Ford in Maitland, FL, and that's where I met him yesterday to discuss my needs. He took my headunit back to the bench to get the unit ready for installation. Good luck.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Posttal

Can't help ya as far as a OEM set up..i installed a pioneer avic910bt..but as far as a camera and where to put it here was my choice.Color camera with night vision.Real easy to install and works real well.And with the factory back up sensors already in the bumper it really kinda blends in pretty good.

Last edited by posttal; 11-19-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:16 PM

That looks awesome and sound like one heck of a camera. Can you provide more details on the camera (make & model)? Thanks
Old 11-19-2009, 10:28 PM
Posttal

I found it on e-bay,its a Innovatek C-7 Night Vision Back-Up Car Rear View Camera.Heres one listed on e-bay..item 190350203848 or at this site http://www.gosale.com/auctions.php?s...+camera&page=2

Its not as small as the ones that mount in the handle or ford emblem.But I just had put the chrome on the handle and didnt want to start over and the ones in the emblem were rather pricey.

Quick Reply: Installing rearview camera in OEM Nav Unit